PDA

View Full Version : Trash in the tank or Old/Bad Gas?

xpbr2000
10-29-2010, 10:13 AM
After I finished my engine build Sunday and have been fighting with the fuel pump. The pump is new (5 mo old) and it a walbro. The old gas that was in the tank is 4 yrs old. Prior to the engine poll I drove it and the pump worked fine. after sitting for a couple months the gas, I suppose, got the gears in the pump to seize. I used WD40 and got the pump back to working. I also siphoned out as much of that gas as i could from the tank and then added a couple gallon of fresh. then the car was fine ran 10 min with out problems. I bled the brake and clutch then took it on the road. It is then I experienced the real problems. :dis: As soon as i back out on the road the fuel pump start to get louder and higher pitched, like it under strain. I start to drive forward and as long as I don't go over 25% pedal then it won't lose power. but as soon as I press any more than that. You might as well turn the key off. :confused: after getting down the road, I nearly didn't get it back. so I replaced the fuel filter just in case. but it didn't help.

Now here are the interesting things. the walbro pump came with a strainer but now the strainer is missing all the fiber inside. like the old gas eat it. its just the bag left (see pic) also the tank had what looked to be a dust floating in the gas. probably the strainer fibers or gas that has gummed up. :hmm: I'm going to pull the pump again and see if there is anything i can see now that I have put some fresh gas in it. I'm almost certain that must be something blocking the pump inlet. I'm going to order a factory (metal mesh) strainer and see if it fit the pump.

What are your thoughts?

Strainer

http://www.frankforged.com/forge/images/cars/96camaro/operationx/IMG00306-20101027-1936.jpg

Throwback Bird
10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Well put a new fuel filter on it and check and make sure you have no crimpt lines, sounds like something is clogging the line and it may not be venting good, I had to fix my buddies truck it was doin about the same thing

freakv6
10-29-2010, 09:01 PM
after four years of sitting i bet there is all kinds of rust/debris in the tank. You might need to concider removing it for a proper inspection/cleaning.

xpbr2000
11-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah I believe that will need to be done. Checked a local radiator place and they'll charge in the neighborhood of 100 bucks to clean and seal one. So, I'll be removing it soon to do that. I put a factory strainer on that walbro pump and it cleared up the problems running down the road. I've put 200 miles on it the last 2 days and it hasn't given me problems. but I want to get that tank checked out.

xpbr2000
02-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Just an Update: I've ran about 10-15 tanks of fuel through the tank and its seems to have cleaned out the garbage. changing the fuel filter soon to see how much garbage was in there. Issue now, My Fuel Pump Relay is going out. Already got a replacement but i'm hoping the weather warms a little so i don't have to freeze my a** off.

tkoforpresident
02-04-2011, 10:34 AM
the fuel filter is a huge pain if it hasn't been done in a while. I twisted my fuel lines trying to get mine off a few years ago.

xpbr2000
02-04-2011, 10:37 AM
No worries, I put a new fuel filter on when I dropped the new motor in. I knew there was trash in the tank so I took precautions.