PDA

View Full Version : Pump getting hot?

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Well I'm having more fuel issues with my '99. Car randomly lost power after about 40 minutes of driving, I pull over and put it in park, turn the key off. Sit there for a minute and collect myself before I get pissed. Turn the key, I heard the pump prime, go to start it and it starts right up. Weird. Drive another 10 minutes, it dose it again, well I realize it's not completely shitting down just like it's not getting enough fuel, it happens again I pull over again sit there a few minutes, crank it starts right up again. I finally make it to work and I pop the hatch and put my hand where I did the trap door and it's pretty hot. Anyone ever have this happen? I didn't think the pump could over heat since it's always submerged in gas? I'm at work brainstorming about this, I'm probably going to have my brother come pick me and the car up after work with a trailer.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-07-2014, 05:05 PM
If it is over heating I don't think the 97 degree tempature is helping.

xpbr2000
07-07-2014, 05:48 PM
even if the pump is submerged in gas like its supposed to the pump may be in a strain and heats up more than the gas can cool it. the only way to really check that is to measure the amps at the fuse or relay. I'm not sure what they should be measuring either.

Also it goes without saying that lower fuel levels may not cool the pump as well as a full tank.

I assume since you have a trap door that you replaced it at least once. What kind of pump is it?

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
I'll check in my Haynes book and see if it says. I went with a high flow fuel pump, like Bone, I'm the one that suggested them to him but it seems he has no issues, maybe my car just doesn't like it.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Well when I got off work, I opened the trap door and check the connections and looked for loose wires and fuel lines or if a wire was pinched, everything looked good. I also swapped around the relays under the hood. My brother couldn't get a trailer that would be low enough so I decided to try my luck, the car ran perfect all the way home. I then had to do some running around before work and decided to take the car and see what happened, no problems, drove to work, no problems. Either swapping the relays around did something or it was just way to hot, it was 100 when it started acting up. I am planning on buying a new pump in the next couple weeks for piece of mind.

xpbr2000
07-08-2014, 04:08 PM
the relay could also cause an intermittent problem. i ussually kick the fuel pump relay under the kick panel and it fixes it for a short time.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Yeah I was thinking about looking at that too. I just have no time right now between work and trying to get ready to move this weekend. But the car ran fine again today so hopefully no more bumps until I get moved and stuff.

Chickenfloss
07-09-2014, 11:52 AM
This may be useless advice, but it might be worth a shot to lift the car and check return line for blockages. If your problem returns that is. I have seen cars with stall problems that just had a clogged return line.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-09-2014, 02:52 PM
That's not a bad idea either. But day 3 since it happened and the car is running fine. I'm still confused on why it happened.

xpbr2000
07-09-2014, 03:09 PM
it may have been just a bad connection. you moving stuff around fixed it. but i would almost bet that if there was a connection issue that you will evenually have it again. could be soon or may take years to become a problem again.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-09-2014, 06:03 PM
I think you may be right, cause not to long ago I was messing with something and swapped the fuel pump really with another one and then this happened so I guess time will tell.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Is definatly gotta be getting hot. All last week it was cloudy and rainy and not a day over 80, car ran fine all week. Today 96 out and it did it again. I've got a walbro in my parts pile for the '00 but I'm thinking about putting it in the '99 since it's the daily, can I swap the socks over? The walbro doesn't have any on it.

AUscorp1
07-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Hopefully one of the other guys will verify, but I know the socks (strainer) were interchangeable between Dustin's fuel pumps when we did his replacement.

xpbr2000
07-20-2014, 09:44 PM
yeah the walbro, the new one from oreillys, and the factory all fit the same strainer.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-20-2014, 10:08 PM
I figured they would be, do they just snap in?

xpbr2000
07-21-2014, 08:52 AM
kinda like a snap. Its more of a interference fit. the collar has barb or lance like tabs that grab the pump when you put it on.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I figured it out, but is a no go, walbro has a broken piece.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/380920610379?nav
Thinking about picking this up. Thoughts? I'm done with highflowfuel.

xpbr2000
07-21-2014, 05:07 PM
thats actually a good price for an 50gal/hr pump. its not as high as the walbro but still high than stock I believe. Since yours is the 99 it looks like in the pics that it has the venturi valve. And i see a 2000 camaro in the fit list so I think thats a solid deal. I wish I found that in a 93-98 fuel pump :dis: SMH

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Yeah I saw it in the fit list and from what I can see in the pictures it's the correct one. I'm going to snag it here in a little bit. I think I just got lucky haha.

xpbr2000
07-21-2014, 05:40 PM
i paid 200 for mine just a few weeks ago. it came with the bucket though. 200 is still way more than that pump is going for

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Yeah true. I hate that it's so hard to get just the pump, well I just bought it, this pump better last.

xpbr2000
07-21-2014, 05:58 PM
acdelco usually has great quality stuff. Most of the time its the OEM. If I had a choice I would get ACdelco.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-21-2014, 06:54 PM
My thoughts exactly. I don't know why I've been having such a hard time with pumps in this car. I ordered it, should be here by Wednesday.

xpbr2000
07-22-2014, 09:14 AM
My thoughts exactly. I don't know why I've been having such a hard time with pumps in this car. I ordered it, should be here by Wednesday.

( i started off with a small comment about aftermarket vs OEM failure rates and got on my :rant: my apologies lol)

well aftermarket parts are hit miss. all of them say they meet or exceed the oem spec. however the tolerances for failures are much greater with aftermarket than with oem. Automotive OEM specs and failure rates are very strict. Car manufacturers don't like high failure rates. I wouldn't be surprised if they accept higher than a 2-3% failures in most of their components.

aftermarket however is a retail driven business. lifetime warranties allow them to have a larger failure rate and not lose business. In my opinion it can be as high as 25% failures. and from experience some have defective designs that fail guaranteed.

I purchased a clutch slave cylinder for my truck from one of the big three automotive retailers. it was half the cost of the others.... red flag right there. The seal first failed 8 months after I installed it (mind you I drive this truck less than 2000 miles a year. It went back and had it replaced. the next failure was 3 months after it was installed. the next one lasted 3 weeks. all failed the same way. They nearly didn't replace it again because of some misunderstanding about how a lifetime warranty works. They actually told me their lifetime warranty only covers 3 replacements. and I honestly didn't feel like it was worth installing another. by this time I figured out that my camaro and s10 share parts and the slave cylinder is the same. I cobeled up a mix of and old bearing and cylinder and packed it full of grease and called it a day. to this day (knock on wood) it has not failed and thats been 3 years ago.

Bottom line ______________

expect that you will have failures on aftermarket parts. the manufacturing process is design to make money not make parts that last forever.

Most of the people that own cars they work on themselves probably don't hang onto it for more than a few years. as long as the parts last that long its no longer under warranty when it switches hands. they have thought this through lol

Chickenfloss
07-23-2014, 01:06 AM
are 93-97 same as 98? also, is V6 and V8 same fuel pump? Because..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-DELCO-FUEL-PUMP-STRAINER-KIT-GM-VEHICLES-VARIOUS-ACD1002-/380947811989?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b2424e95&vxp=mtr

xpbr2000
07-23-2014, 08:57 AM
the fuel system changed in 99. and as long as its a not something more than the 5.7, v6 and v8 are the same.

that link isn't for a camaro

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Well put Dustin.
Chickenfoss, that's the pump I purchased a few days ago.

Chickenfloss
07-24-2014, 01:49 AM
Well put Dustin.
Chickenfoss, that's the pump I purchased a few days ago.

The one I listed was ACD1002 and yours was ACD1000. Not sure if there is actually any difference, but the one I have listed shows 98 Camaro in compatibility list, whereas yours doesn't. Of course this could be lister error and they may be exactly the same minus a small revision like a piece is plastic instead of metal or something like that.

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I don't think theres much of a difference in pumps from 96+, I think they just changed tanks from metal to plastic and the location of where it sits.

xpbr2000
07-24-2014, 10:35 PM
and the fuel pump assembly. the pump is slightly different in 99+ they have a venturi valve that fills the bucket i believe. the assembly in positioned in a different spot and in completely vertical. not the arm like in the 98 and below