Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Drivetrain
Drivetrain Transmissions | Clutches | Torque Converters | Driveshafts | Differential | Axles | Shifters

Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 AM

Well that's a generalized statement of what happens but its more complex. if you had no limiter and could drive your car until it topped out, your topped out speed would be whatever you speed was when your car is at its highest rpm in final gear. The top speed is reduced because the ratio changes meaning it gets to that speed quicker...etc etc.

It will affect your highway rpm, gas mileage anything else related to that. If before you were at 2200 rpm while going 70 on the highway. You may now be at 2400 rpm.

2002 35th Anniversary Camaro
SLP CAI&Lid, filter, and ZZP baffle delete
32/19 WS6 Sway bars w/ poly bushings, BMR STB
C5 Y2K wheels WS6 hood. Full LED swap
Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Now back to the good part.
Forum Owner

My highway mpg went from 35 to 32, but my city mpg went from 18 to 21. Over all, my average didn't change much. My commute is generally 90 minutes in heavy Atlanta stop and go traffic and I average 23.5mpg... that's also without the egr.

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM
LTZ Turbo

35 mpg is amazing, even driving my car like granny my best was only 32 and that was not getting suck in Atlanta, Atlanta always ruins our avg.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

ha.... I'm sitting on 18 MPG avg.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Now back to the good part.
Forum Owner

The last three months have been a tad lower.

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK
Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 PM
LTZ Turbo

Now that 22-23 sounds about right.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
'96 .38 Special
LS Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpbr2000 View Post
OK first you have a 97 pcm which is great. You can retune it to modify the ratio for your speedo.

As for the rear ends.... its a little more complicated but not too bad as long as I make since in the next couple sentences.

93-97 have 3 way abs.
98-02 have 4 way abs.

These will not interchange.
-What does that mean? it means the Abs system will show a fault because you can't plug them up.
-is the rear the same? As far as size and mounting points yes they are the same. but there are differences. Which are listed next.

93-97 is a auburn carrier. This LSD is a clutch based Diff. (not really important except when you replace the fluid). this rear can have both drums or discs

98-02 is a Torsen Carrier. This LSD is a gear based diff. (again not really important) These will always have discs.

Auburn lsd both wheel spin at the same speed all the time
Torsen LSD the torque will move the tire with the most traction (or the slower moving tire) thus making it better for drag and such.

OK here are the concerns:

swapping 93-97 with yours there is no issues. It is a direct swap.

Finding and using a 98-02 (torsen) rear these are the facts. the abs system will not function. and very posibly the brake pressures are different. (read the next line )

Brake pressure for Drums are higher than with discs. they just are. meaning 93-97 setups are design at higher rear pressures than 98-02 because none of those systems ever had drums. this means if you install a torsen rear in a pre 98 car that it is possible under hard braking the rear could lock up before the front (keep in mind you dont have the abs to correct the lockage)

thats the big concern.

A couple other notes. I don't believe 3.73 were ever a stock gear so those cannot be found installed on a stock car. its likely better to purchase the 3.73 lsd and have someone install it into your auburn carrier and you keep all your required hardware.

but you also mentioned you want to swap to rear discs. so you would be looking for a lsd rear from a 93-97. with the right RPO code. which will be 3.42 lsd with disc brakes. Thats what i would suggest you do. I did that and they are so much nicer than the 3.23 open diff. I think you would be happy with it.

if your really set on 3.73 you can swap the drums to discs on your current rear (it isn't very easy to find all the parts without buying a whole rear end... then whats the point of swapping) and swap the gears to a lsd 3.73. the rear needs to be the right series carrier and such.

I did all this research when i looked at this same swap and decided to look for a 3.42 lsd rear from a 93-97 camaro. and turned out I found one.. swapped and called it a day.

I know this is a lot of info. but the problem is it isn't a simple yes no, get this answer. you have options and you have to decide which is the best solution. The torsen is a nicer rear end which is why people want to compromise with the abs and fix the brake pressure problem with a valve on the brake line.

I hope I answered a few of your question and also a few that you didn't know you wanted to ask . I also hope i didn't make a big mess of explaining it and help you find you a proper rear end.

Also guys if I erred in anyway let me know. its been a year or so since i researched this stuff.
Wow! This helped A TON! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this. This provided me with a lot of valuable information to think on. I will definitely consider swapping to the 3.42 with discs. 3.73s was just another option and I wanted to get more info and opinions. So thanks! I probably won't be looking at swapping the rear anytime soon with whichever path I end up choosing. I just had to get a partial rebuild done on my trans Appreciate the help!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Droner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemaro View Post
The last three months have been a tad lower.
Been lil heavy on the pedal i see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGirl_07 View Post
Wow! This helped A TON! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this. This provided me with a lot of valuable information to think on. I will definitely consider swapping to the 3.42 with discs. 3.73s was just another option and I wanted to get more info and opinions. So thanks! I probably won't be looking at swapping the rear anytime soon with whichever path I end up choosing. I just had to get a partial rebuild done on my trans Appreciate the help!
Your welcome. I had to pull all this info from many different sources. I'm glad its all in one place now. In fact I think i'll sticky it.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpbr2000 View Post
Been lil heavy on the pedal i see.
Well idk about down south, but during winter, gas mileage is awful here. They change the fuel blend to be better for engines apparently. But its worse mpgs, combine that with colder tires, and letting your car idle for 15 mins before you drive it every time..and you can see where the mileage goes

2002 35th Anniversary Camaro
SLP CAI&Lid, filter, and ZZP baffle delete
32/19 WS6 Sway bars w/ poly bushings, BMR STB
C5 Y2K wheels WS6 hood. Full LED swap
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Droner
Administrator

touche, I guess i'm glad my poor gas mileage is mostly cause by HP lol

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"