Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Appearance
Appearance Body | Spoilers | Hoods | Wheels | Paint | Polish | Interior | Gauges

Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Droner
LS PLUS Supporting Membership
Administrator

Default Refinishing my stock rims

As you all know, the stock camaro saw blade rims start to lose the clear coat. i wanted to keep my stock rims and refinish them with a tinted clear coat. Did some photoshop on my stock rim and found the shade and look that I want.(see below) what does it take to re-coat the rims. I'm guessing a good stripper. I have a air compressor and a small hvlp sprayer. I'm new to paint and body. I've just played with some body work before. I'm not experienced, but really want to do a lot if not all of this on my own. Can you help guide me through this project?

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"

Last edited by xpbr2000; 10-25-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Elevators Smell Different To Lil People

Strip/clean them very well, sand a little to scuff them slightly with some fine sand paper, wipe off and clean again with some grease and wax remover, spray the color, might have to wet sand if there are some runs, then clear coat them. That's how I would do it.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Resident Bass-Kung Fu Artist

really, there's no stripper necessary. here's what i did:

take all 4 wheels off the car, you'll wanna do them all at the same time. clean and wash the wheels very well with Dawn or another good grease-cutting soap to get ALL the road grime and brake dust off. be sure to paint your center caps seperate.

now, scuff them up really good with some 320 grit sand paper. this is where you should decide if you want to keep a polished lip like i and TheGr8Schlotzky did, or just paint the whole rim, because if you're gonna keep the lip shiny, scuff it with 800 or so. now, if you're going polished lip, tape the lip and the center emblem on the center caps and start shooting color. light coats at first, heavier as you go. the last coat should be pretty thick but without runs. i didn't have any so i didnt' wet sand and wound up with almost a semi-glossed black. wait 10 minutes between each coat.

now, wait about 10 minutes and shoot the clear clear. i waited 30, but it's up to you. once you're done shooting clear, let the rims sit overnight in a dry place, not out in the humidity or anything, and after 24 hours they're good to go back on the car.

i used 3 coats of Gloss black, and 4 coats of Clear Engine Enamel. here's what they should look like going by this...

that's just my car. i'm sure Troy can post up a pic of his and make mine look like black sharpie lol
Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 PM

yeah they look best with the polished lip and center cap not painted.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Requesting fly-by...

i think theyd look even more badass with the whole center circle not painted..imo
Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Droner
Administrator

What about tinted clear coat. i want to alum look but more gunmetal. tone down the rims a little.

This might help.

Here is what they are.

Here is what i want.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"

Last edited by xpbr2000; 10-25-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Ghost Patrol

Why tint them?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Droner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Why tint them?
just want a gunmetal look. I guess theres a paint that would do the same. I dont know what options i have to get it to what i want. I thought the simplest would be to clear coat with tinted clear. Like i said I have no experience in painting.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"
Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Deemed: "Spray Can King"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
i think theyd look even more badass with the whole center circle not painted..imo
They really don't. I painted the wheel first and the center caps after I saw how bad it looked.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357346/3

That is my writeup. I recently redid the wheels using Duplicolor Wheel Paint. It costs a bit more, but I was extremely satisfied with the results. I also used an air sander to get all of the curb rash out. They looked brand new when I sold them.

The difference for you is that you'll need to sand off as much of the clear coat as possible. Do this with 220 grit and go over it with 400 and 600 before priming.

And don't bother "tinting" They sell gunmetal wheel paint and it will look better than tint coat over a stock paint. That is, unless you want to mix your own paint and do multiple coats with a compressor and paint gun, in which case it could look quite good, but will be a whole lot of work and likely won't last any longer than rattle cans. They'll start chipping before they start peeling. (I had mine on for 3ish years and by the time I redid them they still looked perfect from 10 feet).

After almost 3 years:

After repaint (flash took a bit of color depth out of them):

Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 07-16-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Droner
Administrator

Well, looking at the dupli-color paints I think I might go with "WP 102 Graphite". It's metallic finish, supposed to be. Worked up some photoshop on polished edge, polish hex or painted. Personally, not wanting the polished edge. Looking for less bling more color. thinking about just leaving the hex unpainted, or maybe just the emblem unpainted. I'm leaning towards painted.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
"OperationX"

Last edited by xpbr2000; 10-25-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Go Back   V6 F-Body.com > Technical Discussion > Appearance