PDA

View Full Version : i need a few more ponies.

ty97f-body
07-05-2009, 09:56 PM
alright guys i have a 97 firebird wit the famous 3.8. its stout but not stout enough. I have it cold aired, stage 2 jets chip, ac delco irridium plugs(huge mistake), and autolight ultimate performance wires. Any bod got any cheap power adding tips???

FadeToBlak121
07-05-2009, 10:19 PM
exhaust mods come next. catbacks then headers. depends how much youre willing to spend. but intake and exhaust are generally the first two mods and youve got intake done so do the exhaust.

ty97f-body
07-05-2009, 10:27 PM
what should i go with? flow? what sounds good on a v6 without makin it sound like a tuner? I had a glass pack on it put it sounded like crap so i had the stock exaust put back on at a muffler shop in town.

Bonemaro
07-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I like my Magnaflow. Lower tones without being too loud.

Sound Clip (http://www.armediaproduction.com/bonemaro/exhaust.wmv)

ty97f-body
07-05-2009, 10:36 PM
duals? high flow cat? and what type of headers do you use?

Bonemaro
07-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Highflo, yes. It's a Magnaflow catback system. Factory 2K headers.

ty97f-body
07-05-2009, 10:41 PM
sweet dude. i appreciate it. ima start makin calls tomorrow and start pricing the stuff and labor.

Need For Steve
07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
if you're lookin' for power, leave flowmaster ALONE...

magnaflow all the way...that's what the Buick's gettin' :dood:

Travis@gvperformance
07-05-2009, 11:51 PM
exhaust and ditch the jet chip, not gaining anything from it. Get it dyno tuned or get hptuners for tuning it yourself.

Then we need ultimate goals for the car, times, power #s, etc as the mods you chose depends on your goals and certain mods will affect your car differently

freakv6
07-06-2009, 09:09 AM
I second the magnaflow for sound. Another good cat back i used was the TSP Rumbler, though it is a bit loud. Here was my car with TSP Rumbler, no cat, and pacesetter headers. Sounds awesome at idle, but gets a it raspy in the higher rpms (but what 3.8 doesnt?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKKzWKejb6c

Bonemaro
07-06-2009, 09:45 AM
it raspy in the higher rpms (but what 3.8 doesnt?)

Ain't that the sad truth.

GixxerSteph
07-06-2009, 09:50 AM
I just had a Magnaflow catback installed 2 weeks ago. I like it.

ty97f-body
07-06-2009, 02:54 PM
yea ive called bout the magna flow system and it should be rumblin in a few days. magna flows i little pricey though. the guy at the muffler shop suggested cherry bomb instead? any suggestions?

Bonemaro
07-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Magnaflow are a little more expensive, but their stainless steel construction will not rust. Worth the cash.

freakv6
07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
yea i would go with the magnaflw. much nicer sound, and a good quality manufacture.

Travis@gvperformance
07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
yea ive called bout the magna flow system and it should be rumblin in a few days. magna flows i little pricey though. the guy at the muffler shop suggested cherry bomb instead? any suggestions?

I suggest getting a new muffler shop if they recommend putting cherry bombs on cars. lol. I am sorry but a quality shop knows better than to go that route.

ty97f-body
07-06-2009, 06:56 PM
yea im gna go with the magnaflows. im gettin the whole catback system like bone suggested

tmon930
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
!v6 to ls1 mod

jk

Travis@gvperformance
07-06-2009, 08:28 PM
yea im gna go with the magnaflows. im gettin the whole catback system like bone suggested

what did they quote ya for the catback kit alone?

WVBird99
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I like my Magnaflow. Lower tones without being too loud.

Sound Clip (http://www.armediaproduction.com/bonemaro/exhaust.wmv)

I bought the magnaflow catback...had the best reviews next to the borlas which are the rich mans exhaust, lol... havent installed it yet, thought about going with their cata to match but wondered if its better to use the OEM direct fit version and save a lil or just get the cata with out the down pipes... ? ive heard a clip with the mags and clear image headers and they sounded great!!:naughty: im definately getting headers and probably going to go with CIA's product since setters get alot of bad reviews most anywhere i go and read or ask about.

WVBird99
09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
what did they quote ya for the catback kit alone?

I bought mine through Autoanything.com for $449.28.... which at the time was the lowest i could find and shipping not be crazy...

Birdfood
09-11-2009, 01:41 AM
why ditch the jet chip does it hurt anything i didnt buy it but it has it shuld i still get rid of it?? and if it dont do anything why is it so expensive.. just wondering thats for travis or anyone else that has input.. and yes borla is amazing and i got it off a parts car so it was freeeeeeee.

Birdfood
09-11-2009, 01:59 AM
alright guys i have a 97 firebird wit the famous 3.8. its stout but not stout enough. I have it cold aired, stage 2 jets chip, ac delco irridium plugs(huge mistake), and autolight ultimate performance wires. Any bod got any cheap power adding tips???

What's wrong with the ac delco plugs? I have them no complants.

Birdfood
09-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Answer?

Travis@gvperformance
09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
why ditch the jet chip does it hurt anything i didnt buy it but it has it shuld i still get rid of it?? and if it dont do anything why is it so expensive.. just wondering thats for travis or anyone else that has input.. and yes borla is amazing and i got it off a parts car so it was freeeeeeee.

the jet chip doesn't hurt you, but you don't gain anything from it either. Going with a true tuning program like hptuners or a dynotune will net you gains in performance that the jet chip just can't touch.

Italia
09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
an aluminum driveshaft will free up some ponies for ya, a different set of gears would be nice too.

WVBird99
09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
I noticed a nice improvement on my bird after adding the jet chip stage one...of course i wont really notice the difference until the exhaust work is done...but otherwise very rapid acceleration and power that wasnt seen originally. Just one thing to keep in mind, a chip a on *all stock* 3.8l probably isnt going to show off as much as one that is not. I'd love to tune it, Hypertech's only goes to the 2000-02 models, and of course, mines a 99... >:-( I just depends i guess on your goals, but i like the chip thus far, going to stage two in the fairly distant future, unless i find a tuner or a shop that wont gut you ($$$)

WVBird99
09-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Another important factor in added horsepower is "cooling efficiency"! Don't overlook this aspect when unlocking power potential...as our V6 engine blocks are cast iron, and they do not disapate heat as well as the aluminum block LS1's etc.. Heat is a killer on the L36's... keep'em away from a *constant 205-215 degrees* and you'll see a difference... Inline Fluid Coolers (Oil and Tranny), 160 Thermostats, SLP manuel op switches...etc.. any or all a good investment!

Travis@gvperformance
09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
I noticed a nice improvement on my bird after adding the jet chip stage one...of course i wont really notice the difference until the exhaust work is done...

am I the only one that is baffled by this part of the post? :confused:

If you noticed anything it was all mental most likely unless you have timeslips or dyno graphs showing the improvements to back up the claim?

WVBird99
09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
am I the only one that is baffled by this part of the post? :confused:

If you noticed anything it was all mental most likely unless you have timeslips or dyno graphs showing the improvements to back up the claim?

No,..... i do not have...a graph or dyno sheet to prove anything...i wasnt out to prove anything here, simply that with my CAI and the exhaust work done (H+C+CB), i would probably see a better responce overall with it in use but not a vast difference...im well aware of that.

Birdfood
09-15-2009, 10:55 PM
I still don't see why were fighting over such a small motor. I love it and all bit come on were starting to sound like ricers and there v tech.
I don't have no graph but the chip helps some pulling on stock ones is all the proof I need

Travis@gvperformance
09-15-2009, 11:22 PM
I still don't see why were fighting over such a small motor. I love it and all bit come on were starting to sound like ricers and there v tech.
I don't have no graph but the chip helps some pulling on stock ones is all the proof I need

just having a friendly discussion is all. I hate to see people waste money on things that didn't need to be purchased is all. Might sound weird coming from someone that sells parts I know.

Birdfood
09-15-2009, 11:40 PM
I understand you took this motor to great hights. Your awesome I just mean these motors are cool and all just expensive to build. I'm just not haven good luck with them at this point and time. Sory if I came off defensive. Do u sell the master or slave cylender I need for my Cluth peddle read more in the urgent cluth pedle post

lo_jack
09-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Ls1 aluminum driveshaft

Weight reduction = adding power

Italia
09-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Ls1 aluminum driveshaft

Weight reduction = adding power

y0 Houston....I already said this...they don't care :lol: