PDA

View Full Version : Straight pipe??

scia22
02-24-2010, 02:20 AM
hi im actually new to this forum but i have many questions because i just bought a v6 3.4 camaro. i hear all this negativity about them but, im still choosing to keep it and make somethin of it. i already have a 160 thermostat, CAI, jet chip. Now im looking to an exhaust. i was wondering how would just a straight pipe sound on the v6.. im also keeping the cat installed. the set up i was thinking of involves a QTP cut off. i wanted to delete the muffler and keep resoantor and cat, but before the resonator install the cut off and i have airflow redirected with another pipe around the resonator making it basically straight piped on demand.. bad idea?? or would straight piping actually sound good? also, if it would not sound good i would just keep it all stock and install the cut out after the cat and put new tips the end of the mufflers. i wanted to know how the cut out sounds on the v6

Italia
02-24-2010, 03:13 AM
get yourself a good catback like a magnaflow or something. and as far as "straight pipe on demand" it's called a cut out.

get an electric cut out because the 3.4 will sound terrible with just a pipe.

freakv6
02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Yea i think you would become very quickly annoyed with the rasp that you would get from the straight pipe. I would look into a cutout and keep the factory exahust if you didnt want to buy a catback.

venom
02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
borla also has an adjustable exhaust that will make it just a straight pipe with the onpen plate.... thats if u have the $$$

scia22
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
yeah that's what i think im going to to do.. keep the stock exhaust but add the cut out.. how about if i just delete the muffler?? will that sound bad as well?

Italia
02-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Deleting the muffler would help flow but again the sound might get annoying. You can just replace the muffler

scia22
02-24-2010, 02:36 PM
well, do cut outs actually add noticeable horsepower??

freakv6
02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
probably not, as you your bottle neck is still going to be the cat/manifolds. Ther may be a little gain, but nothing that you will a seat of the pants feel from.

Italia
02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
they don't "add" horsepower by any means, they allow more horsepower to be used by bypassing a restrictive exhaust.

scia22
02-24-2010, 04:56 PM
about the maniflods, i was reading other threads about swaps and port polishing.. what kind of intake manifolds are compatible with my engine that i could use?? and what is the price range?

freakv6
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
I was more talking about the exhuast manifolds, to which the answer would be some pacsetter headers. as far as the intake manifold your best bet is porting and polishing it yourself. I would definetly read up on it, and ask some peoeple in the 3.4 world for some tips. the people from force fed fabriactions might could help, or maybe even IronMan or SpeedingFirebird from here.

Italia
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I would recommend doing some research as to what you want and what your overall goals are with the car before you end up with a laundry list of mods in front of you with no direction or means to get it done.

scia22
02-24-2010, 07:50 PM
well, i really just want to be able to beat alot of those 4 cyl ricers around my area and keep up with a lt1 or ls1. lol i guess its impossible the way some people talk, like i have to get a turbo or supercharger but, i dont wanna go that route. i mean i used to have a ford focus lol i hate losing and just dont wanna lose again if i get on the line. so far i have, CAI, 160 thermostat, Jet Chip, and the exhaust is getting done in two days.i just dont reallly feel like all of that is going to make a difference. i havent took it out on the road yet or raced up against anything because of the snow up here so i dont really know how fast it rides at all..

scia22
02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
but if i get the headers then i have to remove the cat right? wouldnt that make the car raspy? because im going to keep the stock muffler and just install a cutout but how would that affect the sound of the car if theres no cat and a resonator and a muffler is still there

freakv6
02-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Yea to kep up with LT1/ls1's your gonna need some serious mods. Is your car an auto or manual (sorry if i missed that). To get a nice runner with as little money as possible i would do the following.

headers(you can keep your cat with them, and i know of a couple of sets for sell in the 150-200 range right now)
gears-3.73 or 4.10s
short throw shifter is manual/higher stall and shift kit if auto
lsd diff

ty97f-body
02-25-2010, 12:13 AM
man like freak said you need serious mods if you wanna keep up with a v8.. the ricers on the other hand just with those few mods you should be keeping up at the very LEAST.. on the performance lose the jets chip.. i had one and they are horrible.. i took these guys advice and tossed it. on the poring and polishing do it yourself. all you are doing is taking the rough edges and and the molding marks and left over metal off. you are not taking metal only smoothing for better air flow.. but the rockers bone listed(im ordering soon) port and polish, get some gears, and short throw if its a manual, and buddy youll eat the ricers up.. but the v8 is still gonna eat your lunch.. especially a ls1.

scia22
02-25-2010, 12:16 AM
yeah i could port and polish myself but, i have no idea how to take that stuff apart to do it lol

scia22
02-25-2010, 12:17 AM
no you didnt miss it. the car is auto.. and where could i get the headers from that you were talking about???

scia22
02-25-2010, 12:20 AM
yu mean i wouldnt be able to be a civic with like an CAI and exhaust unless i have more mods?? wat about the v6 mustangs?? i stand a chance with those?

scia22
02-25-2010, 12:23 AM
wat is the lsd dif? and the gears where could i get those?

ty97f-body
02-25-2010, 12:59 AM
its pretty easy look on youtube for some how tos for videos, and you should already be STROKIN civics. unless you get ahold of a modded one.(rele modded, not a wing exhaust tip and cai,LOL) and yes you should be beating a stock mustang, and keeping up with v6 mustangs that have same mods as you.. a lsd is a limited slip differential. it makes both tires spin unstead of one tire fire, better for take off and is just all around better.. umm you need at least 3.42s, but i personally would want 3.73s or 4.10s if your going for a 1/8th mile (4.10s), you will run outta gear before you run out of motor.. promise ye.. but if your doin street/strip, then 3.73 is your best bet.

freakv6
02-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Here is the links to the headers for sale you would need.
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59962
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53042

as far as the porting, the disasembly is the easiest part, like i said, i would talk to FFF about the porting work. as far as the lsd your best bet is to pick up a used one off a forum and you can buy the gears new off ebay for a decent price.

scia22
02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
where could ii get the lsd??

freakv6
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
well that depends on which one you want. To get a torsen you will need to find one in a junkyard or for sell on a forum. If you wanted to go with and Auburn you could get it new off ebay along with the gears and install kit. There are also a couple other options from places like summit.

scia22
02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
ok i was reading in other forums that you could take a whole rear end from and lt1 or ls1 that has lsd and better gears and jus swap the whole rear end. is that true? if so i might go find some broke down z28 somewhere and buy the rear off of it for cheap.

freakv6
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
yea it is. Just make sure you get one out of a car that matches yours (ie, if you have trac control, get one that does). unless the car had diffrent gears you will most likely get a 3.42 gear in the z2/8 rear.

scia22
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
3.42 gears will make me a little quicker wouldnt it?

scia22
02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
whats really the difference and the price ranges?

freakv6
02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
your definetly going to pay more if you buy the gears/lsd seperate and have to have them installed (would recommend professional installation because there are some tight tolerances). You should be able to pick up a decnet rear in the 300-400 range and swap it all over yourself. And yes 3.42 would help, especially from you starting with a 3.08 being that ur an auto.

scia22
02-25-2010, 01:31 PM
yeah that sounds a little better with the full rear end. how will i know if its completely compatible?

freakv6
02-25-2010, 01:37 PM
you just have to find out from who you get it from if its the same as yours (with or without traction control)