PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap question.

Tpres
04-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I know its not an f body,but i wanted some feedback on how tough a 327 or 350 swap would be for my 2.2 cyl 97 S-10?The 2.2 has seen its way way better days.The car lot i bought it off of F--ked me over royally,and i do mean royally.Im just gonna bite the bullet and make lemonade out of a lemon,body is mint,motor is far from it.i paid 3300 for it and im nowhere happy.But it is what it is.Any feedback would be great from yall.Dont hate on me for asking a s 10 question here,im just at a loss and i knew people here would be able to give me good feedback.:hmm:

bob8703
04-17-2010, 09:33 PM
i had a 92 s10 blazer and wanted to do a swap to a v8 but never got around to it. when you do a swap are you wanting to keep it fuel injected or carb. they do make conversion kits to put in a v8.

Tpres
04-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Want to do carbed,buuttt,in this state being a 97 it has to pass the emissions test for inspections,so a carbed one is out of the question,and thats what i wanted to go with,so it will have to be fuel injected.(Sighs)

ZeRo
04-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Personally.... if I lived in a emissions state I wouldn't do the swap. Kinda takes the fun out of runnin open headers :) The actuall S-10 v8 swap is not bad. They sell everything to do the swap at jegs or summit or your local speed shop, like block hugger headers/mounts ect. I'm not sure on the gear ratio on the rear of a 4 banger, should swap that out for a posi unit.........your going to need a differ trans, a turbo 350 is ideal..... Get a drive shaft from a short box S-10 with a 4.3 automatic v6 "same as v8", they do sell drive alum shafts for the v8 swap, a bigger radiator with elec fan and a aftermarket oil pan is a must to clear the cross member......beefier front springs.......The actuall work involved ain't too bad if you know what your doing, but parts $$$ can add up fast. A carb setup is cheap and easy to do...........your going to get into some cash doin a fuel injection setup, but its going to be a rocket.

Tpres
04-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Im gonna get banned for this,lol,but would a ford 302 motor and tranny work in the S-10?Yeah yeah i know it is a ford motor.

ZeRo
04-18-2010, 01:32 AM
It would fit. Should you do it? Prob NOT! BAN BAN BAN BAN LOL JK

Tpres
04-18-2010, 01:34 AM
It would fit. Should you do it? Prob NOT! BAN BAN BAN BAN LOL JK

Lmao.I been ducking and dodging that ban hammer like a wack a mole! lmao:lol:

bob8703
04-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Im gonna get banned for this,lol,but would a ford 302 motor and tranny work in the S-10?Yeah yeah i know it is a ford motor.

:gtfo: or else :bat:

1LOMARO
04-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I am disappointed that you even asked about a Ford in a Chevy...... I too vote BAN!!!!

Now... best thing you can do is check with Advance or Auto Zone... they sell reconditioned motors. Play it smart... leave the s-10 stock, spend mod funds on the Camaro!!!

freakv6
04-18-2010, 12:06 PM
The v8 swap into an an s10 is very common, and there are plenty of kits out there that make it as painless as possible. With that being said, your still swaping in a motor that wasnt meant to be used. There will be some fabrication to deal with, but its been done a lot of and a ton of info is out there. Your best power bet with keeping cost in mind will be doing an iron 5.3 with the ls1 goodies put on top.