PDA

View Full Version : l36 oil pan removal

onspeed
06-07-2010, 08:04 PM
trying to check my rod bearings to see if i spun a rod. can't seem to remove the oil pan. i have the engine mounts disconnected, tranny mount loosened, y pipe dropped, and the engine jacked up as high as i could get it... if i removed the map sensor, i could probably raise it maybe another inch. the pan will move around but i can't seem to be able to remove it. all the screws are out, seems like something inside is holding it in. what's the trick?

freakv6
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
there really is no certain trick. im sure its just the pickup tube and screen blocking you from removing it. i wish there wa a certain direction to tell you to move it so it will pop out, but honestly it just takes some fanagling (for lack of a better word)

onspeed
06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
got it. i don't have a engine hoist right now, so i'm just using a piece of wood and jacking it up frm the passenger side engine mount. removed the MAP sensor for that extra inch, removed the Y pipe + cat + S pipe, pan dropped out. Some metal shavings in the pan and in the screen of the oil pickup tube. not sure if that's normal. probably not. unscrewed a couple of bearing caps, when i removed cylinder 5 (i think, the rear-most cylinder on the driver side), the bearing thing came out with the cap. That means it's spun right? Hitting the salvage yard tomorrow, going to pick up a new motor. L26 hopefully.

freakv6
06-07-2010, 10:45 PM
yea, the metal shavings shouldnt be that noticable at all, so im sure thats the issue. good luck with finding a replacement. make sure you inspect it before you go to all the trouble of installing it. spending a few bucks tearing it downa and replaceing some gaskets can go along way.