PDA

View Full Version : No speedo or O/D

ZeRo
06-15-2010, 08:14 AM
I have a 93 firebird with that 3.4...........all of a sudden the speedometer went out @ 55 mph..................went to slow down and stop.....started to move again..it was like I had my foot on the brake pedal when I took back off.....very sluggish.........it does NOT want to shift into Over drive. Trans fluid smells weird but is not burnt. My best bet is the trans is shot. Is there a limp mode or somthing on these trans? Thanks

freakv6
06-15-2010, 10:49 AM
sounds like an interal probelm to me as well. The trans has no limp mode that im aware of (only limp mode is on the motor). no odd noises coming from it? motor run smoothly (as in it definetly seems like a trans problem and not motor).

ZeRo
06-16-2010, 04:44 AM
It's like sombody flicked a switch. kinda weird it just went out together like that. I'm going to replace the speed sensor n see what that does. There was no warning or noise.

Travis@gvperformance
06-18-2010, 06:24 PM
usually means a vehicle speed sensor is bad or the wiring too it. Had an eclipse with the exact same issue the other day in the shop and it was the sensor. Check that first

ZeRo
06-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Replaced the speed sensor, no change. Checked for broken wires and checked for corossion, everything was good. This is pissin me off. Seems simple.

ThunderChicken
06-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Did you drop the tailshaft on the transmission and check everything there? There should be either a gear or a Hall-effect switch on there to talk to the sensor. If either of those are broken, that would also cause the problem.

Need For Steve
06-26-2010, 08:30 PM
i agree. check everything out that has to do with the speed sensor. i'll bet a PS1 that's the problem...