PDA

View Full Version : Car slow to start

3.4Maro94
06-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Hello, I currently own a 94' Camaro with a 3.4 engine. It runs great, but the only problem that I am having with it is that it doesn't start up right away. It will take a good 3-5 long turns to get it started. It just sits there and cranks forever and doesn't even sound like it's trying to start sometimes. Any ideas on what I could do to fix this problem? It's really becoming annoying when I try to start up my car to show people it haha.. Thanks

xpbr2000
06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Check your fuel pressure. Recently i have had two vehicles to have a fuel pump to go bad. probably takes a few starts to build up pressure for it to crank.

tkoforpresident
06-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I always turn the key "on" for a few seconds before start up. this will help get fuel to the rail and save you a couple of rotations before start up. Also, it is possible that your 24x crank sensor is shot which is only used for start up and low rpms IIRC and will sometimes cause a longer start up than normal. It's not a big issue if it is broken. If you have a way to scan your car for stored trouble codes that might show the 24x issue or perhaps another one.

freakv6
06-19-2010, 08:44 PM
yea sounds like your fuel pressure is bleeding off when the car is parked. most likey due to a falty fpr.

3.4Maro94
06-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Ok yesterday I bought a fuel pump pressure gauge and hooked it up. When I put the key in the on position I could here the fuel pump kicking on. The gauge only went up to about 2 psi. I tried starting it and it didn't start right away, but now the gauge read about 20 psi. Tried again and still didn't start but now it was at 42 psi. After one more try it had started and the psi had stayed at a constant 38 psi while the car was idling which is where it should be according to the instructions that came with the gauge. I'm just not sure what it could be....

Bonemaro
06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah mang... you think the regulator is sticking open?

freakv6
06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
yea sounds like the regulator is bleeding off pressure to me.

tkoforpresident
06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
there is a vacuum hose leading to the FPR. take it off and see if there is any fuel in there. You might have a bad diaphram.

I still have my old one that I took off of my bird when I replaced it with a holley adjustable unit. It's a pretty easy/straight forward fix. If you want it let me know and i'll mail it your way at no charge.

freakv6
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I hope to one day grow up and be just like Max.

Bonemaro
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Max has been on fire lately. I'm impressed.

Will
06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
How olds the battery? I mean lets be honest. My battery is dead but when I had it where itd start it take a good 3 - 4 to get it running.

3.4Maro94
06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure that the battery is fairly new. Not completely sure on how old though because the battery was never marked when it was put in and it was put in when the previous owner had it

ThunderChicken
06-26-2010, 03:10 PM
In addition, there's a hose that runs to your vapor canister. If that is swiss-cheesy, you may have a vacuum bleed-down problem there, too. Saw that on an "el tee juan" yesterday!