PDA

View Full Version : AC compressor clutch

SavageCamaro96
07-04-2010, 01:05 AM
so i decided to try this selant stuff in my ac system that my friend recommended. even though i have tried other things before and the stuff just leaks out, i figured id give it a shot.

so i did ans i filled it up with 134 and the compressor ran for probably the first time in over a year. its been about a week now and the refrigerant has started leaking out again.

the problem is then when the compressor is off the damn thing makes a horrible loud rattling noise anywhere from 1500-2000 rpm.

how do i make it shut up?

1LOMARO
07-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Get rid of it... thats what I'd do...lol

But it all seriousness, if its rattling, your best option would be to replace it as the clutch on the compressor is most likely shot. This could be another reason why your losing freon as well.

SavageCamaro96
07-04-2010, 05:24 PM
can you replace the clutch without replacing the whole compressor?

SavageCamaro96
07-04-2010, 05:29 PM
fuck i just looked it up that looks hard :(

its not that the clutch is not working just making a noise WD40?

freakv6
07-04-2010, 05:52 PM
all that would do is be a band aid fix. if you let it go long enough it could lock up and cause some more damage. I would fix it wright, or get rid of the whole thing if you dont want it.

ThunderChicken
07-06-2010, 12:39 PM
If your compressor locks up, your engine won't be able to run, so that won't be a good idea, either. My compressor in the GTA was really noisy, and I ended up having to replace the dryer, compressor, and orifice because they were full of metal from the clutch. Just bite the bullet and have it all replaced. You have to find someone to evacuate the freon, but past that, you can do it yourself.