PDA

View Full Version : How much louder will it be?

Camarokid98
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Okay to start this of I just Listened to bone's in car exhaust video Like the way that sounds very nice but I also want to get headers something like paceheaders or CIA but will it be really loud inside the car or sound raspy?

Right now I have stock I want to do full exhaust and cold air. What are some of the best bang for your buck exhaust systems? and what are some of the hp gains I will see I know all car are different whats the ball figure?

Thanks guys
Josh

usd2sing
09-21-2008, 09:31 PM
good questions but most are gonna ask:
what are your future goals and plans for the car? (long term)
(be realistic and honest)
hows the budget?
assuming from your screen name its a 98 correct? (that leaves out the whisper lid being a direct bolt on (good mod for the 6'ers)
auto or manual?
gearing? (this helps)
do u own or have access to tuning?

Camarokid98
09-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes it's a 98 and some of my goals are to have headers high flow cat good priced catback cold air and I plan on keep the car. I can't see myself selling it at this point so yes long trem. But it's a auto and it has 3.08 gears. and No I don't have access to tuning but for now as the budget stands I could almost do everything to the car right but would like to save money where I can.

usd2sing
09-22-2008, 07:01 AM
kewl.
if u have no plans for forced induction (turbo) then the choices really open up for you.
being a 98 you have 4 oxygen sensors for your exh. 1 ea header/mani, 1 pre, 1 post cat. this is the only real issue you may run in to. you might have to have a bung for the post cat added in if your going to install a complete aftermarket exh. (unless you fine one specific for the 96-98's).
as for tone?
thats pretty much a personal preference. some like it loud some dont.
mostly all fbody catbacks for the v8 will fit fine with the v6, headers are an item that many will make blanket statements on: buy RK, buy Clear Image, etc.
for the budget minded modder a set of pacesetters is the best route, especially if u can find a used set. the used painted ones can be had for 150-180, the coated ones will net you anywhere from 200+ for a used set.
thier fine, a crap ton better than the log manis your currently running.

check travis, Green Valley (sponsor here), he could set u up with everything u need if you wanted everything new.
word of warning.
the v6 will NOT sound like the v8...no matter what you do.

i personally do not like loud, obnoxious(sp?) exh, out of the 4 i've used the magnaflow sounded the best (with a cat) in that category.
one of our v6's found a diy 3in cat back from summit..cost shipped to your door is around 180.
it consisted of a dynomax I pipe, dynomax overaxle pipe, and the summit turbo muffler.
with a set of headers it sounds good, not rude at all.
nice deep throaty tone at idle and flows really well.
this is with a set of pacesetters and the summit package:
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=5510

for this package you will need to have an actual 3in tailpipe made...they usually cost around 25bucks at most muffler shops.

EDIT: now if your looking for max power (tuning required) you can get on the list for a set of the new FFF (forcefedfabrications) long tube headers. nice pc's for sure, do a search, im not sure its ok to post links to other sites on this board...thier not cheap, but the are the absolute best for pwr improvements on our 3.8's.
here's a little sample:
open long tubes with torque extention/tips added on (peak pwr)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v701/usd2sing/for%20sale/?action=view&current=100_1219.flv

fitting a Y pipe to the summit catback:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v701/usd2sing/for%20sale/?action=view&current=000_0766.flv

Camarokid98
09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the reply.

No I don't like really loud exhaust ethier don't want to be heard a mile away something with good power but not hurt my ears and not obnoxious . lol

I'm Pretty sure I have two o2 senors one on the drivers side and one after the cat? right? I could be wrong.

Yeah I know it won't sound like a v8. lol

But yeah I did hear that the magnaflow sounded nice I was thinking of going with that with paceheaders. I have a catco hi-flow cat right now sitting in my room. lol

Thanks for the info.

Will be looking for some used ones right now I need shocks and rims tire etc etc.......my shocks are pretty bad right now. I will be starting a thread with a pic of the car and see how much higher the car will be if I go with stock replacement or if I should lower it. Thanks again.

Bonemaro
09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I can tell you now. Lower it. :rofl:

Camarokid98
09-22-2008, 09:30 PM
I will post a pic of my car. So you guys can see how low it is right now I kinda like how low it is right now I wouldn't want it any lower then it is but around here the higher the vehicle is the better hills dirt roads frost heaves pot holes yeah there everywhere. lol

caspernicus
09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm Pretty sure I have two o2 senors one on the drivers side and one after the cat? right? I could be wrong.

You have at least 3. One in each manifold and one behind the cat.

Most mufflers are going to have the typical v6 rasp, but some are
worse than others. Most people seem to like the magnaflow and summit
turbo muffler for better sound/exhaust flow.

Will be looking for some used ones right now I need shocks and rims tire etc etc.......my shocks are pretty bad right now. I will be starting a thread with a pic of the car and see how much higher the car will be if I go with stock replacement or if I should lower it. Thanks again.

Shocks don't effect ride height, just ride quality.

Camarokid98
09-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Shocks don't effect ride height, just ride quality.

Right I know I am getting coils as well my bad should have mentioned that lol

Need For Steve
09-23-2008, 11:15 PM
i would recommend Flowmaster, but i've only had mine for a year, and it's already starting to rust out and vibrate badly at idle. i'll probably be going with a split I pipe and over-axle dumps on each side with Dyno bullets. that setup sounds really good to me

firebirddrvr
10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
on the o2 sensor note....4 of them

onspeed
10-31-2008, 12:56 AM
on the o2 sensor note....4 of them

uhh... you sure about this? i only see 3 on mine. 98 camaro.

edit- what would the pre-cat one do? the 2 on the manifolds are for A/F and the post cat is to check the cat, right?

firebirdkid96
10-31-2008, 01:08 AM
your on speed, onspeed.

:)

onspeed
10-31-2008, 07:41 PM
so what does the pre-cat one do? I need to get new O2s soon... only the ones on the manis are important right?

firebirddrvr
10-31-2008, 08:22 PM
my car is apart....96...was lookin at o2 sensors to see if i needed to replace them. there are 4 on mine. maybe 98-02 was different idk

firebirddrvr
11-16-2008, 12:15 PM
back on the exhaust note...just take it all off :rofl: it sounds absolutely sick! all ive got on mine right now is the pacesetter headers (no y pipe even) its all getting done tomorrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fz-CBWt40M (not sure if that link worked or not). in all seriousness now...a broad comment is not to get a 3 inch exhaust unless you are making quite a bit more than stock power. you might actually lose power due to the fact that our engines require a certain amount of backpressure. ive got a flowmaster and have been happy with it since day one. quite cheap and sounds decent. add an electric cutout and youre set IMO