PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start after powerwashing

TurboSteve
10-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to help out a friend who's 96 Camaro has a bunch of problems, not the least of which is a big oil leak somewhere up front. I powerwashed the engine bay while it was running and it eventually died at one point. I started it up again and it was fine. Since then, it will occasionally start, and run smoothly for about 5 seconds and then die. Most of the time it turns over and thinks about firing, but that's it.

I've tried to dry out all of he visible weatherpack connectors, though none of them were wet inside.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

3.8blackmaro
10-24-2010, 07:07 PM
You check the coils and plug wires.

freakv6
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM
How long has it been since the powerwashing? If its had ample time to dry, and assuming it would run fine before, chances are something was knocked loose. I would start checking connectors.

Throwback Bird
10-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Check the fuses under the hood also, my car did the same thing and it was a blown fuses

TurboSteve
10-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I forgot to mention that it's a 3.8 V6. It's been about a week since the washing. I didn't think to check the fuses, but will do that next. Coil and plug wires were all dry.

tkoforpresident
10-25-2010, 02:06 AM
i bet its the coil packs

TurboSteve
10-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Fuses are all good. Coil pack is throwing spark, and i have fuel at the fuel rail. Engine will run with starting fluid, but the minute you give it gas, it dies.

Any more ideas?

freakv6
10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I would get an injector light and make sure they are firing next, as well as a check on the connectors on the injectors themselves.

Throwback Bird
10-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Maybe a vacuum leak?

xpbr2000
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
does it idle high? that would be a vacuum leak possibly too. Is it throwing any codes? Might disconnect the battery and let the PCM reset. Worth a try?

TurboSteve
11-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Could be a vacuum leak, but i would think it would at least run with one. Injectors are firing because it does occasionally fire and then die immediately.

Borrowed a code scanner from work. Came up with P0122 TPS/Pedal position sensor A low input. Installed new TPS, but no change. These cars don't have a pedal position sensor other than the TPS, do they?

xpbr2000
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Sounds exactly like a problem i had in the harness. My TPS connector had a short in it. I fixed it temporarily by jump the wire directly to the pins Via in-line Crimp-on connector. Splice into the harness and run the wires to the TPS and see if that remedies the problem. I got a connector from a junk yard motor and replaced it. I think the low input was the same code mine was reading, but I'm not sure. Worth a try

riivo
11-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Problem still there? Have you tried disconnecting the 'brain' - the ECU connectors? They might have water in them and it won't dry by itself! Worth a shot.

TurboSteve
11-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Turns out it was out of gas. I didn't think about it because the gauge read a quarter tank, and i had a bit of fuel at the rail. It apparently was just coincidence that it happened to run out while powerwashing it. The 122 code went away, and the fluid leak was a hole in the pressure hose of the power steering unit.

Now to fix the misfire. I've changed the plugs and wires, and fuel filter for that matter, so i'm thinking it might be the ignition module.

freakv6
11-28-2010, 07:14 PM
You can have the icm tested at a local auto parts store, my bet would be on a bad coil(s).

TurboSteve
12-07-2010, 12:40 AM
I wish the misfire was the ignition module, but it tested fine. 118psi in the cylinder is probably the problem. Have 185 in the one next to it. Advanced didn't have the connector to test the module, but Autozone did.

I'm thinking he cooked a head gasket at some point. He had a coolant leak and ran the engine hot a few times. Thanks for the help guys.

xpbr2000
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
We hope he gets it worked out. Is it still throwing codes?

shantos
12-13-2010, 06:12 PM
used engines (http://www.mwdauto.com) I wish the misfire was the ignition module, but it tested fine. 118psi in the cylinder is probably the problem. Have 185 in the one next to it. Advanced didn't have the connector to test the module, but Autozone did.

I'm thinking he cooked a head gasket at some point. He had a coolant leak and ran the engine hot a few times. Thanks for the help guys.

I hope you got this figured out I had the same issue a while back I just let hood stay up and dry out for a weekend, crossed my fingers and everything started fine.