PDA

View Full Version : Hey...you with aftermarket exhaust!

Fireproof13
10-25-2010, 11:34 PM
I am wanting to get a 3 inch intermediate pipe to go along with my 3 inch muffler and cat...my question is, what do you do about that little S pipe in between the cat and where the stock piping bolts together? Do you just have it made or can you buy that somewhere? I live in a place where you can't get exhaust made for an f-body...seriously I tried, the guy said that he can't do a firebird, and yes there is only one place.

freakv6
10-26-2010, 11:27 AM
The s pipe is easy. Go to summit and buy a 3" U pipe. Cut it directly in the center and turn it, and weld it. I have attached a pic to show you.

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t359/lilchubby11/hok-12280hkr_m.jpg

whitdog54
10-27-2010, 10:11 PM
buy my stock z28 catback, comes with piping all the way back to the cat. 2.75" diameter

Fireproof13
10-28-2010, 01:24 AM
i totally would, but I really want 3", and wouldn't that come to the middle, not go off to the passenger side like a v6?

freakv6
10-28-2010, 10:41 AM
no it wouldn't. it starts in the middle then goes off to one side. Lets say you have a u that measures 4 from tip of you to tip of you. with flipping it like showed you now basically have a pipe with a 4" offset from center. I may not describe it well, but alot of people do it this way.

whitdog54
10-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Nope, runs down the passenger side, up over the axle into a single in, dual outlet muffler. With z28 tips.

I think you might be think of some people with CME or center mount exhaust. Thats usually an aftermarket thing that people do.

The reason the 2.75" is nice is because most ppl bitch that 2.5 gets less rasp and keeps low end torque, but some will say 3" flows better, make more HP and sound better. SO i think 2.75" is a nice compromise to both LOL

Battousai
10-31-2010, 07:02 PM
The reason the 2.75" is nice is because most ppl bitch that 2.5 gets less rasp and keeps low end torque, but some will say 3" flows better, make more HP and sound better. SO i think 2.75" is a nice compromise to both LOL

I went from the stock 2.5" to a 3" and I can definitely disagree with this. with my Borla muffler and the stock pipe, I had rasp from 3500+... when I went to a 3", the rasp doesn't kick in till 4250 ish but thats only when I'm free reving it... sounds really nice when I'm actually driving it.

whitdog54
11-03-2010, 12:58 AM
I went from the stock 2.5" to a 3" and I can definitely disagree with this. with my Borla muffler and the stock pipe, I had rasp from 3500+... when I went to a 3", the rasp doesn't kick in till 4250 ish but thats only when I'm free reving it... sounds really nice when I'm actually driving it.

good to hear your opinion....although not sure how you can disagree with me my when i said MOST say 3" rasp more. Some do, some dont. I remember when i was choosing my exhaust everyone told me go 2.5 to prevent rasp. So you are entitled to your opinion, but not entitled to disagree, because really it makes no sense because everyone has mixed opinions on the 2.5 vs. 3 inch setup, nevermind involving brands as well.

Also not all of us can afford borla. Thats why I went with an SLP option stock SS dual catback 3" all the way when I had my 6. Paid dirt for it. loved my complete 3" set up.

Hot Rod
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Nope, runs down the passenger side, up over the axle into a single in, dual outlet muffler. With z28 tips.

I think you might be think of some people with CME or center mount exhaust. Thats usually an aftermarket thing that people do.

good to hear your opinion....although not sure how you can disagree with me my when i said MOST say 3" rasp more. Some do, some dont. I remember when i was choosing my exhaust everyone told me go 2.5 to prevent rasp. So you are entitled to your opinion, but not entitled to disagree, because really it makes no sense because everyone has mixed opinions on the 2.5 vs. 3 inch setup, nevermind involving brands as well.

Also not all of us can afford borla. Thats why I went with an SLP option stock SS dual catback 3" all the way when I had my 6. Paid dirt for it. loved my complete 3" set up.

The bigger the less rasp, Thats a fact. The people that think otherwise probably dont even have anything bigger than stock or 2.5". Why you think the deisel guys go so big? Imports too.

My 3" setup is as deep and low in rasp as you can get w/out going into engine mods. I run a cutout when I want it to sound good. It doesnt rasp until I get over 4200 rpm's.

When I had 2.25 with a flowmaster is rasped anything over 3k, lol.

Headers helps though also, if your running mani's with bigger exhaust the rasp is gonna be there more too. For sound, bigger is better for sure. IMO.

Throwback Bird
11-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Well I've got headers and the good ol stock junky single muffler, and it actually sounds decent, but I've also got some engine mods, im goin to put a stock OEM Z-28 muffler on it with 3 inch pipes.so it should sound really good, I hope lol

Hot Rod
11-10-2010, 10:02 AM
My car has a stock V8 axle back along with my headers and bigger piping so I can tell you itll sound better than most aftermarket mufflers. :)

venom
11-10-2010, 12:15 PM

stock pipe is 2.25in

Fireproof13
11-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Wow, thanks for all your help guys, I think I'm gonna get the 3" intermediate pipes and possibly buy an S pipe from someone, but I'm gonna have to wait to do anything, because I've been putting all my money to my band recently and am pretty much broke. But one more question, when you talk about rasp are you talking about while you are revving it, or when you let off. Because my biggest concern is that "blagh" sound it makes when I let off, it is loud and annoying!

Hot Rod
11-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Revving and/or WOT @ high RPM's.

That "blagh" sound is called backfire, lol. That'll always be there unless you go tru duals.

whitdog54
11-17-2010, 12:29 AM
I got a bakfire when I had my cutout open and when I would get off it right before it would shift, so higher rpm.

I had rasp wen revving right above 4k.