PDA

View Full Version : valve cover gaskets?

Need For Steve
09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
well, i'm tryin to figure out what i'll need to do when i take my valve covers off to tighten down my rockers. will i need to get new gaskets?

also, i've been told i can adjust my lifters while the engine is running, to be sure all play is eliminated, but doesnt oil flow inside the valve covers? what's the deal with this? i know i should probably just get in ther and find out, but this is my only car, i dont wanna get in there un prepared, ya know?

Travis@gvperformance
09-27-2008, 06:00 PM
yea it wouldn't hurt getting some gaskets if it is a higher mileage car. Just do it for piece of mind, they are not that expensive

freakv6
09-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Yea i would go ahead and replace them if they never have been. You can get the rubber ones so that they will be reusable after this point.

I dont know what your talkin about on the lifters. Unless you meant rockers, which you can not do while its running.

usd2sing
09-27-2008, 06:15 PM
unless you installed or the motor already has adjustable rockers there is no adjustments.
push rod length is the determining factor on our hydrolic/factory lifters/rockers.

Need For Steve
09-27-2008, 06:27 PM
oh, i figured the tick i have might be from where a rocker is loose or something...lifter tick goes away when the engine heats up, doesnt it? mine doesnt tick when it's cold, only once it hits operating temp

freakv6
09-27-2008, 06:31 PM
yea on the rockers i was just more so talking about tightening them down if one is loose, not so much an adjustment.

Need For Steve
09-27-2008, 07:46 PM
yea, that's what i was thinking. i figure i'll try tightenign them down before i go buying lifters. i mean, 217K miles, some things might shake their way loose lol

tkoforpresident
09-28-2008, 10:19 AM
you've got a 3.4 so theres no way your gonna be able to run your engine and adjust rockers at the same time ( the whole upper intake needs to come off before you can take off the valve covers) not to mention the EGR, fuel rail etc.

if you wanna replace the valve cover gaskets it will take a good couple of hours if you've never taken apart your 3.4 a little before.

if you have any questions, i've done is 3 times now so i could help you out a bit.

max

Need For Steve
09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
max, i'd appreciate that alot. i could deffinately use your advice since i've never been into the motor before. would you say it'd be a good idea to replace the UIM gasket too, since it'll already be off?

Travis@gvperformance
09-28-2008, 09:00 PM
if you are taking any manifolds off you are going to want new gaskets to prevent any leaks later on unless they have just recently been done already. Stock ones then yea get new gaskets

Need For Steve
09-28-2008, 09:07 PM
alright, kool

Need For Steve
09-28-2008, 09:09 PM
no gaskets on GVP, travis?

Travis@gvperformance
09-28-2008, 09:19 PM
no gaskets on GVP, travis?

there will be shortly. :D

Need For Steve
09-28-2008, 10:14 PM
there will be shortly. :D

haha sweet, i'll wait and get em from you then

Need For Steve
09-28-2008, 10:26 PM
but yea, about the tick...do you guys think it could from where a rocker bolt, or nut, or w/e, has loosened up a bit?

Travis@gvperformance
09-28-2008, 11:46 PM
I will get more on the site hopefully tomorrow. I need to get some specs tomorrow during work and get them loaded to the site

tkoforpresident
09-29-2008, 09:13 AM
but yea, about the tick...do you guys think it could from where a rocker bolt, or nut, or w/e, has loosened up a bit?

ticking could be a lifter, or an oil starvation problem.

YES replace ALL the gaskets along the way fro peace of mind.

this includes throttle body gasket, UIM gasket, injector o rings, LIM gaskets, RTV for the LIM valley, valve cover gaskets, EGR gaskets etc.

there are top end gasket kits you can get from any local advance auto or autozone for the 3.4 that include MOST of these gaskets, though some of them you will have to get seperate. Don't get the kit with the head gaskets, it's like an extra 20$ unless you plan on taking off the heads.

if you do end up taking your 3.4 down to the LIM, there are some things you'll need, including a 3/8 quick fit fuel line release tool. they come in sets sometimes and shouldn't be more than a few dollars.

don't forget a torque wrench and a haynes manual for your proper torque specs.

theres probably some more stuff but i'm not gonna go on a filibuster here unless you decide to dig in to your 3.4

max

freakv6
09-29-2008, 10:01 AM

while this could be the issue, more then likely its not. I would look closely at the exhaust, as a exhaust leak is easily mistaken for a tick coming from inside the motor. Lifters are usually the culprit if it is actually in the motor.

Need For Steve
09-29-2008, 12:05 PM
yea, i know that i have a leak where the EGR bolts up, but holding a stethoscope while the engine is running, the tick seems louder at the very front of the valve cover on the passenger side. guess it probably is a lifter then...think i may replace the EGR gasket, and see if that cures it first

Max, i had no idea that much stuff had to come off. wow...this may take longer than i thought

tkoforpresident
09-29-2008, 02:47 PM
yea, i know that i have a leak where the EGR bolts up, but holding a stethoscope while the engine is running, the tick seems louder at the very front of the valve cover on the passenger side. guess it probably is a lifter then...think i may replace the EGR gasket, and see if that cures it first

Max, i had no idea that much stuff had to come off. wow...this may take longer than i thought

eh, i took a couple months to slowy dissect my top end over the winter, but now that i've done it, i could have it apart in a couple hours.

SpeedingFirebird
09-29-2008, 07:23 PM
YES replace ALL the gaskets along the way fro peace of mind.

Good advice. I have never heard of anyone reusing a valve cover gasket.

In addition to the rubber gasket, I always add a small bead of seal-a-gasket. Cheap insurance.

tkoforpresident
09-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Good advice. I have never heard of anyone reusing a valve cover gasket.

In addition to the rubber gasket, I always add a small bead of seal-a-gasket. Cheap insurance.

:confused: rubber or cork?

SpeedingFirebird
09-29-2008, 09:01 PM
:confused: rubber or cork?

I have always done cork.

tkoforpresident
09-29-2008, 11:18 PM
In addition to the rubber gasket.

^ this is what i was curious about. technically if you had switched to some fiero valve covers you would have to use rubber gaskets, but i didn't think you had.

SpeedingFirebird
09-30-2008, 07:27 AM
^ this is what i was curious about. technically if you had switched to some fiero valve covers you would have to use rubber gaskets, but i didn't think you had.

I bought fiero gaskets for my headers. Maybe that is what you were thinking of? The header gaskets are not rubber though.

tkoforpresident
09-30-2008, 11:01 AM
lol no i donn't think that, lets just forget the whole thing =)

Need For Steve
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Well, i see that GVP now has a top-end gasket kit. does this kit include valve cover gaskets? if so, i'll just go with that

Travis@gvperformance
09-30-2008, 12:41 PM
yes it does include the gaskets for the valve covers. ;)