PDA

View Full Version : so .. starting to take it apart

Will
09-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Well since I have the TB off already I figure why not go ahead and take little pieces of the 3.8 off while its in the car. Maybe send some stuff off for P&P too. Anything i need to beware of?

Travis@gvperformance
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
have the manifolds gasket matched for now unless you are porting the heads out as well.

Don't need to port the tb really, it is huge already and no way are you being restricted by it unless you are pushing a lot of air via FI

Travis@gvperformance
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
btw, what are you doing to the engine that you are starting to take parts off? Upgrading anything or just freshening up things?

FadeToBlak121
09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
how muchish does p&p of the intakes cost? anyone?

Travis@gvperformance
09-28-2008, 08:33 PM
usually 150-300 depending on shop and how much they do

Will
09-28-2008, 09:24 PM
have the manifolds gasket matched for now unless you are porting the heads out as well.

Don't need to port the tb really, it is huge already and no way are you being restricted by it unless you are pushing a lot of air via FI

Oh good to know lol I'll just lay the TB to the side then

btw, what are you doing to the engine that you are starting to take parts off? Upgrading anything or just freshening up things?

Im just gonna freshen things up for now so I can get it in the car! After Christmas I'll start the performance stuff. May be able to actually afford to put a new cam in if my mom can get her friend to paint the car for me for cheap lol

Will
09-28-2008, 10:02 PM
My dad wants to go back with all new internals and all so if he's paying for it, why not?

usd2sing
09-28-2008, 10:05 PM
you'll see no advantages on any porting/cutting of the intakes unless you work the heads too. dont waste your time.
then you'll need some way to dial in the tune..yes its necessary.
details on what your doing and why?

Will
09-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Because its a swap and I wanna start FRESH :D lol all thats wrong with the motor that I know of is the timings off and it needs all new timing stuff but I have that already

Need For Steve
09-28-2008, 10:22 PM
yea, alot of the stuff yall are gonna do to it isnt performance, and make sure he knows he'll have a heeeck of a time gettin that motor out w/o takin the UIM off...i've seen some detail pics of a guy that tried pullin the motor with the UIM on, and he tore the cowl up.

Will
09-28-2008, 10:41 PM
yea, alot of the stuff yall are gonna do to it isnt performance, and make sure he knows he'll have a heeeck of a time gettin that motor out w/o takin the UIM off...i've seen some detail pics of a guy that tried pullin the motor with the UIM on, and he tore the cowl up.

yeah I knew that lol why do you think I planned on gettin some stuff off before we took it out?

Need For Steve
09-28-2008, 10:47 PM
i'm just sayin lol, your dad said earlier he'd pull it w/o taking anything off

freakv6
09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
If your going to be adding stuff after Christmas, i would try and wait till then to do all the work if possible. I mean its not that far away, and its going to save a lot of money in little stuff (fluids, gaskets, etc) if you wait and do it all at once, not to mention all the extra labor.

Will
09-29-2008, 07:25 PM
If your going to be adding stuff after Christmas, i would try and wait till then to do all the work if possible. I mean its not that far away, and its going to save a lot of money in little stuff (fluids, gaskets, etc) if you wait and do it all at once, not to mention all the extra labor.

yeah, im just taking it apart for now lol I wont put the 3.8 in until after I get the car painted

kristen
09-30-2008, 06:53 AM
p&p can get up there. but you have too look at it this way.....you get what you paid for. go cheap...might not see any gains