PDA

View Full Version : exaust size question.

pontiacfreak142
09-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I currently have pacesetter headers with the magnaflow 2.5 inch catback. with in the next couple of weeks i will have the FFF long tubes to put on it though, and dont what do with the rest of the exaust. Im trying to figure out what would possibly get the best gains. I was originally going to run true duals dumped before the rear end. After talking to a few people though, im almost thinking that might be to much for the car (was gonna go with 2.5 inch piping), and now am just considering having a y pipe made and hooking it back up to my current cat back.

What do you guys think? Ive also thought about possibly getting the 3 inch magnaflow if the 2.5 is to restrictive.

freakv6
09-29-2008, 03:06 PM
I say a the 3" is the way to go. Thats what i currently have on my car, and it preforms well.

Travis@gvperformance
09-29-2008, 06:15 PM
I am in the same boat as you once the longtubes get to my door. I am thinking I am going to make a ypipe and install an elect. cutout, then go to a bullit 3"in/out cat, then to my 2.5" magnaflow catback. When I need the power I will open the cutout up. Otherwise run through the 2.5" catback. We shall see though. I need to see how far back the longtubes sit and what kind of routing I can do with it

pontiacfreak142
09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
I am in the same boat as you once the longtubes get to my door. I am thinking I am going to make a ypipe and install an elect. cutout, then go to a bullit 3"in/out cat, then to my 2.5" magnaflow catback. When I need the power I will open the cutout up. Otherwise run through the 2.5" catback. We shall see though. I need to see how far back the longtubes sit and what kind of routing I can do with it

the cut out thing is actually what is making me wonder about mine. I have a cut out on mine, and it just about where the cat used to be. I was told by a few people that it would help especially on the top end, but my car usually went slower with it open, i think due to not enough back pressure (launches felt slower), is there a good place to mount one?

Travis@gvperformance
09-29-2008, 07:09 PM
no idea on mounting one until I know the length of the longtubes first. From the pics the ypipe will have to be further back than the stock location

pontiacfreak142
09-29-2008, 07:17 PM
yea, it does, but it is really hard to tell from the pictures how long they really are.

usd2sing
09-29-2008, 09:21 PM
I currently have pacesetter headers with the magnaflow 2.5 inch catback. with in the next couple of weeks i will have the FFF long tubes to put on it though, and dont what do with the rest of the exaust. Im trying to figure out what would possibly get the best gains. I was originally going to run true duals dumped before the rear end. After talking to a few people though, im almost thinking that might be to much for the car (was gonna go with 2.5 inch piping), and now am just considering having a y pipe made and hooking it back up to my current cat back.

What do you guys think? Ive also thought about possibly getting the 3 inch magnaflow if the 2.5 is to restrictive.

taking advice from others who have no "real" world experience with these is completely idiotic.
[/URL]

I say a the 3" is the way to go. Thats what i currently have on my car, and it preforms well.

agreed..with a twist. make your Y removable for track use..its NOT that hard. the cost is 3 vband (2-2.5in, 1-3in)..takes 15min to swap and there IS a major pwr difference.

but my car usually went slower with it open, i think due to not enough back pressure (launches felt slower), is there a good place to mount one?

again..u basically refuse to listen.
there are many reasons your car does not perform as expected..to many to list. you will NOT loose pwr by opening a cut out..it may move the pwr band up a couple of hundred rpm but like i said...there are other reasons.

yea, it does, but it is really hard to tell from the pictures how long they really are.
[URL]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v701/usd2sing/FFF%20LT%20headers/ (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v701/usd2sing/FFF%20LT%20headers/)

Need For Steve
09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
he's exactly right...^^^^^

i cant really add to it

caspernicus
09-29-2008, 09:58 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v701/usd2sing/FFF%20LT%20headers/

Quoted for emphasis!

:rofl:

pontiacfreak142
09-29-2008, 11:24 PM
taking advice from others who have no "real" world experience with these is completely idiotic.

agreed..with a twist. make your Y removable for track use..its NOT that hard. the cost is 3 vband (2-2.5in, 1-3in)..takes 15min to swap and there IS a major pwr difference.

again..u basically refuse to listen.
there are many reasons your car does not perform as expected..to many to list. you will NOT loose pwr by opening a cut out..it may move the pwr band up a couple of hundred rpm but like i said...there are other reasons.

im not refusing to listen to anything, just trying to figure out what set up would work best.

How exactly would you explain the car running slower EVERY time i open the cut out then?

i understand what your saying about not believing people with that dont have experience with these, hence why im still asking around. if i just listend to them, i wouldnt be asking this on here.

and how this got brought up again, i dont know, but i dont think i was complaining about how the car was running. But since it did, please explain to me what you think is wrong with my car. I have honestly thought about everything possible, and the only thing i have been able to come up with is a tune.

p.s., im not trying to be an ass, i know you know what your doing, youve been around these alot longer than i have. Im not asking dumb questions like these cause i want to, im trying to get things right from now, even if it means asking alot more questions, since i didnt do it the first time around. the question above is serious, if you have idea's, i wanna hear them. the car is possibly getting torn apart this winter, and i do need idea's on things to look at/for.

usd2sing
09-29-2008, 11:48 PM
ok...one last time.
tune,
intake set up,
head/intake port job
susp set up
tires
prep for track
failure to understand the basic principles of how things need to work together
no effort or follow thru when sooo many peeps have tried to guide u in the right direction.
watch your track vid that you posted.
that tells it all.
now watch this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWIyAtpcUo
notice anything?
notice shawns ride?
notice lances?
notice 90% of the 6'ers in that vid took the time to set thier rides up for that days track event (prep). im at the 2.30min marker...hmmmm, stupid little 80shot off the line to test traction...spun hard/spun on the 1-2 shift..still grabbed a stupid 12..
you get out of it exactly what you put into it.
hopping from board to board, lookin for some sort of internet glory is for the weak and insecure.
some advice:
spend you spare time in a more productive way if you want the results at the track.

and did i mention TUNING!....your willing to keep throwing money at frivolous(sp?) crap but refuse to get to the core of many of your problems.

no effort = lack of performance.

EDIT: you've been advised by many..its not just me....best o luck to you....out.

usd2sing
09-30-2008, 12:12 AM
just so u understand...
im not beating you up.
im not picking on you at all.
but you do need to think about your priorities on how you want your v6 to run.
since u like spending time at the track then make the effort to dial in your set up. it does pay off.

pontiacfreak142
09-30-2008, 12:44 AM
point taken.

the intake is going as soon as i can afford a real one.
the intakes are bone stock, as well as the TB.
Can porting heads really cause a "back track" so to speak?
how much can a suspension really help on a 13 second car? i knwow they help with launches, but if the car hooks up just fine, i dont understand, unless weight transfer has something to do with it.
Im just a moron when it comes to the tire thing, im putting 26 inchers back on it.

With tuning, what all needs to be messed with to get a good tune. i know the timing is set at 25* and was tuned for a 12.7 A/F ratio.