PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body bypass

95quicksixx
04-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Can anyone explain to me what this is? I've seen a few ppl say they have it on the 3.4s an i dont get what it is? lol. I was wondering if anyone knew what it was, how you do it, and what the advantages and disadvantages (if any) are to doing this??

3.8blackmaro
04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
It bypasses the coolant passage in the throttle body. you cap the line on the throttle body and join the couple the lines that did go to it together. Its said to lower intake air temps since the air doesnt get warmed up by the coolant heating up the throttle body. It's been so long since I looked at the 3.4 that I don't even remember the 3.4 having coolant lines to the throttle body. A disadvantage would be that the coolant wouldn't be able to warm up the throttle body and could possibly freeze during the winter, but I don't know that much about it.

freakv6
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I am not familiar with the 3.4 in particular, but overall it gives very minimal gains if you are able to do it. He has it right though, just bypass's the coolant around the TB so it doesnt warm it (and thus the incoming air) up. However I always say ever little bit helps, so its really just a "is it worth it to you" thing.

95quicksixx
04-06-2011, 11:04 PM
hmmm... alright thanks for the help!