PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the alternator (3.4)?

riivo
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I must sound pretty damn stupid asking this ... but I couldn't get the alternator off! It would still hold from one corner (passenger side) - there is a clip (unsure of the english term) there even after I remove the long bolt, that I imagine should be removed in order to get the alt off... but how to do it?
If anyone wonders why I'm taking the alternator off - it's because I'm changing plugs + exhaust is visibly leaking at the EGR stem and since I just put in new O2 sensors, i'd like them to work properly and not get corrupted.

3.8blackmaro
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
I didn't really think of it as being an ordeal to remove the alternator from the 3.4, but it's been a few years. I just remember it being the three bolts and it pops right out.

1LOMARO
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Take out the 3 bolts and then wiggle the shit outta it.... it should come right out of its spot.

Bonemaro
06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
BFH?

tkoforpresident
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
if yours has a brace at the back of it, that will obviously need to be taken off. Also, there is an electrical connector that should just pop off of the back side. Finally, there is a ring terminal that is attached to the back (the big wire attached to the alternator) and you will want to remove that wire as well. Don't lose the washers, and remember to put them back in order that you removed them.

After that and the 3 aformentioned bolts it should just lift right off the accessory bracket.

1LOMARO
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM
BFH?

More like BFC or BFS (big fawkin crowbar or big fawkin screwdriver)

bob8703
06-17-2011, 08:12 PM
if im right (which i dont know if i am) i think you are talking about the small sleeves that are in the holes. when you tighten the bolt they press agains what the bolt is going through and can make it a pain to remove. when i put an alternator back on i push those back flush so the alternator slides right back on with no problem.

riivo
06-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes bob, I think we are on the same page here. Anyways, thanks y'all---though it still wasn't easy LOL but now I knew that it's a brute force kind of job --- I had to jiggle the alternator for at least 10 minutes before I got it out! I even had to take breaks LOL.
Ahh, a fine full day of breaking stuff and trying to fix what I've done.

riivo
06-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Though when I started this topic, the alternator was working just fine, it went south today. I was driving in heavy rain, and due to this has wipers at full speed and vent at 3rd position + lights. Already from start I noticed the voltage was 13 (usually at first it's plenty higher)... after some driving the voltage dropped to 9, I pulled over to inspect, turning off lights, wipers and vent - for the eye all was ok, but it had a howl to it. anyway, drove home (less than 1 mile) and inspected - found the alternator to be sizzling hot - if i dripped water on it, it boiled immediately. After proper cooling down I started the car again --- howl is still there and volts were scarce 12 + the alt was heating up FAST! I probably need a new alternator, but --- what do these symptoms tell you?

PS. On a lighter note, I got a set of clothes to scare my pontiac (maybe that's what's messing with the karma :D
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/riivo1/DSC00269.jpg

tkoforpresident
06-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Did you put everything back together properly? Double check

xpbr2000
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
if its not the alternator then I'd say you got a wire short somewhere. there is no reason for the alt to work hard enough to heat up like that with out a serious drain on the electrical system. and im not talking about wipers and lights. an atl should be able to handle those. im talking about maybe the alt wire to the battery being pinched and shorting. something that isn't fused.

riivo
06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
the generator repair guy said it had a lost a phase, he replaced a diode block and the brushes. Haven't put the generator on yet, but it should be fine now he said. He put it on a testing machine and sure enough the loud humming noise was audible (which to him confirmed his suspicions).