PDA

View Full Version : adding a bullet mufler to a already loud exhaust

jack bur7on
01-28-2012, 02:00 AM
have any of you have added a muffler or a resonator to an existing exhaust system to quiet things down without restricting flow? Some of the ls1 guys have done it to Loudmouth systems but figured I'd ask you 3800 owners.

My current setup:

I'm running TOG headers, 3" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat to a flowmaster y to dual 2.5" pipes then to 2 Cherry Bomb vortex mufflers then slp gtx tips.

The cherry bomb vortexs were a cheaper alternative to borlas, same straight thru design. A friend had one on his dodge ram and it was slightly louder than stock. But it seems tough to quiet a mod'd 3800.

I was thinking a bullet muffler somewhere after my cat but I'm not sure if a couple of decibels would really make a difference. We tried a long glasspack before and it had no effect.

I know I'm a grand prix guy but those forums aren't really helpful when it comes to exhaust questions, :banghead:

and you guys are lucky to have the option to run true duals, I've heard enough aussie l67 owners with duals to know it sounds so much better.

thanks in advance

venom
01-28-2012, 11:52 AM
i would say ditch the cherry bomb mufflers. cherry bomb has build a reputation on being loud. go with something like dynomax.

just my 2 cents

Xerogear
01-28-2012, 12:33 PM
i would say ditch the cherry bomb mufflers. cherry bomb has build a reputation on being loud. go with something like dynomax.

just my 2 cents

I agree

Atrum Rosa
01-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Why would you want quieter?!

jack bur7on
01-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I agree

I had dynomax's on it before, got rid of them because the case on one was separating. Last time I'll buy them, polished stainless and they started falling apart after a year.

Most straight through design mufflers I've had fitted on this car sound the same. The cherry bombs were cheaper than some of the others and we couldn't hear a difference so we used them.

I have not tried a turbo muffler yet, that might be next on the list.

Why do I want it quiet? Idk, I'm getting older.

But back to my question, I guess I'll look elsewhere. :hmm: