PDA

View Full Version : Need help replacing factory speakers.

Chickenfloss
10-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Bad speakers currently in. I want to replace with decent speakers and I currently still have the stock radio in place. What I really need to know, without the "monsoon" sound system, should I go with 2ohm or 4ohm? I am also having to factor in the idea of a future replacement head unit.

ProudOfMy304hpV6
10-27-2013, 09:22 PM
I would just do it all at once. Get the factory adapter, wire it all in, and get a decent set of 2ways. If youre feelin froggy get a nice amp and component speakers. You can get components without a amp but its so much better. Dont go cheap either. Do it right or dont do it man. Nothing walmart:p If you want, run all new speaker wire too. The factory wire to the doors and such is pretty poopy. Upgrade the head unit as well while youre at it. So much better.

xpbr2000
10-28-2013, 09:01 AM
You probably want to stick with 4 ohm. Headunits don't typically handle 2 ohm loads especially stock. Some aftermarkets might.

nismo923
10-28-2013, 10:38 AM
The ONLY "2 ohm" speakers I'd recommend are Infinity's. With impedance rise and everything, your receiver will see a 4 ohm load.

Chickenfloss
10-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going with a set of 4 ohm 3 ways on the front and some 4ohm kicker midbass for the sails I got a good deal on. A bit low on cash because of other priorities and the headunit I have my eye on is over $200. Flip out touch screen dvd w/navigation. I want a new GPS besides my phone. It isn't very accurate.. I figure rather than spend 150+ on radio and then 100 on gps, I'd rather spend 250 on a nice head unit that does both :P for now I am stuck with factory until then.

It may sound like crap for the time being though, but I'm not entering any competitions or car shows anytime soon and it will sound better than 3 busted speakers and one sail speaker on it's way out. So it doesn't have to be amazingly fancy.

Chickenfloss
10-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Not letting me edit above post....anyway everywhere I've read says it's 6.5" for front and back, but crutchfield shows there is a 3rd pair @ 4"????

Edit: I just checked into it more and it apparently there are 4" speakers under the hatch glass. I am almost 100% I do not have this and that it must be for monsoon systems, however crutchfield says they exist with "without monsoon" selected :shrug:

xpbr2000
10-29-2013, 09:55 AM
yeah there are hatch panels with speaker locations. I grabbed some and wired them up to get a 6 speaker system.

ProudOfMy304hpV6
10-29-2013, 09:27 PM
I just threw 2 8inch Fosgate subs and piggyback them off the positive of the right rear speaker and negative of the left rear. Ran them in series and they have no thump but that doesnt bother me. They play the music very clear and pretty loud. Cant even turn it up! Dustin, any idea where I can find those hatch panels as well?

Chickenfloss
10-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Iany idea where I can find those hatch panels as well?

Probably a junk yard or someone parting out on craigslist. I believe there is a mount that goes in and then you need the plastic trim panel the goes over that with speaker grill. If you look at that "spring mod" link I put in your other post, that car has the hatch speakers so you can see what you are looking for.

I've been calling around today for them myself :P

**EDIT** Judging by the pic, I guess there may not be a mount underneath...seems like it'd cause a rattle just mounted in the trim panel... They do have a couple of trim pieces on ebay as well..

xpbr2000
10-30-2013, 09:11 AM
they just sit in the panel. direct swap. and to find them you got to go junk yard searching unless someone is parting out a car that has your color interior.

Chickenfloss
11-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Just an update, if you plan on using the factory stereo on new speakers for the love of god get an amp. It sounds ridiculous with that low of output. Could be worse, but the second you try an aftermarket head unit or put an amp in, it's like a new car.

xpbr2000
11-04-2013, 10:08 AM
yeah the factory is wimpy. almost any headunit produce in the last 10 years would be better than factory.

SlasherVRGR
11-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Most head units I've seen don't even put out 20 watts rms :P alpine, pioneer etc only like 14w, 18w... I need like 3 more amps -___-

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

ProudOfMy304hpV6
11-04-2013, 01:07 PM
My interior is black because I get nifty with a rattle can!

nismo923
11-04-2013, 01:46 PM
My Infinity's sounded good off of like 14 watts. They really came to life when I gave them 50 though. Then I decided that was still too quiet. 120 watts to a set of components is quite good though :)

Chickenfloss
11-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Most head units I've seen don't even put out 20 watts rms :P alpine, pioneer etc only like 14w, 18w... I need like 3 more amps -___-

All the head units I've bought fairly recently have all been like 200w/50rms I usually look for them though as I don't really need amp kinds of power, but do like just enough to give some clarity and a tiny bump of bass.

SlasherVRGR
11-04-2013, 11:17 PM
That's total, I'm talking per channel 50/4 = 12.5

Go on sonicelectronix.com or Crutchfield and look at some of the specs :0

Edit: I believe they keep them low on purpose so they don't explode your factory speakers.

I know if I bought a head unit and it blew up my crappy stock speakers I would be a tad bit angry.