PDA

View Full Version : Angled TB spacer?

Chickenfloss
11-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I have a '98 and obviously the angled throttle body. I want to run billows straight in with no loop, but also avoid sharp angles. I was wondering, if I have a machine shop build a throttle body spacer for me the counters the angle of the plenum and thus makes the TB face towards the breather, would this cause ill side effects?

The air wouldn't go in at the right angle and cause disruption in flow, but would the hp gained from no baffle offset the loss of efficiency?

Ibanezz
11-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Get an slp lid and the zzp tubing, slasher just did it and was able to delete the baffles

Chickenfloss
11-17-2013, 09:33 PM
I was worried about the upturn the tubing would have to make before hitting the TB. I may just end up getting a CAI. I want to mod it some way, but I want it to look clean.

Ibanezz
11-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Look at slashers thread. He posted pics. Looks fine, upturn doesn't look sharp.

xpbr2000
11-18-2013, 12:43 AM
These throttle body are so large unless your boosted it will not matter either way.

SlasherVRGR
11-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Yeah man i don't think it'd really be worth trying to have someone machine a spacer like that

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Chickenfloss
11-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Alright well ZZP tubing it is. Has anyone tried fitting the zzp tubing over the oval fitting on stock lid? Tubing is 4", car isn't here and I haven't measured it myself. Seems like you could deform it if it's rubber like and make it work without changing lids.

xpbr2000
11-18-2013, 05:21 PM
i'm going to say that you'll find any number of things that have been tried for the 98 setup.

SlasherVRGR
11-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Its rubber with like 10g steel banding.. You may be able to deform it but it'll be fairly tough. I may have an SLP lid for sale shortly here though if they total my car.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Ibanezz
11-18-2013, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't bother if you aren't going to upgrade lids. Its like making a bigger smoother path, but still a cramped opening. The results will have almost no change. Plus I doubt you will fit it around the oval shape of the stock lid. That shit is crazy strong. But as slasher said. He may have a lid for sale and the zzp tubing.

Chickenfloss
11-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Is the stock lid that restrictive? It's a shorter opening, but it still retains roughly the same surface area.

Ibanezz
11-18-2013, 10:00 PM
SLP lid is taller, smoother, bigger neck. Going from stock lid and baffles to SLP lid and zzp tubing, the car sounded so much meaner, even with stock exhaust. And the throttle response seemed snappier

Chickenfloss
11-18-2013, 10:06 PM
First off I value your opinion so don't take what I am about to say the wrong way.

I think I am going to get the ZZP tubing, either shape it, or make a fitting to the stock lid as an experiment. Drive it for a full oil change worth or so and get used to it while I save up for SLP lid, then try slp lid see if I notice a difference over stock. I don't really race and it's more of a DD so I am rarely in the high RPM range anyway. So I may not notice it, in which case the gain from lid may not be worth it at the price it is, for my particular car. I will, of course, try out the higher end of the rpm range and feel it out.

Like I said, I'm not just ignoring advice. I just figured if I am planning SLP lid anyway, I could experiment.

xpbr2000
11-19-2013, 09:45 AM
its a supporting mod. By itself it maybe has 2-5hp difference. but combined with cam, headers, etc it can equal much more.

Ibanezz
11-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Its cool, your money your car, our opinions are only suggestions. I would however double check to make sure the outside circumference is the same on the stock lid, since its an oval.

xpbr2000
11-19-2013, 10:12 AM
circumference

Big words... I like! :rofl:

Chickenfloss
11-19-2013, 11:03 AM
circumference

Big words... I like! :rofl:

That's one of those things where business guys sit around a table together and talk right?:hillbilly:

As far as the other stuff, my current plan is finding a junk motor and rebuilding it and adding in GT1 cam and a few other small mods. At that point I'll probably definitely switch to using SLP lid.