PDA

View Full Version : Vote on a muffler?

Video
07-15-2014, 04:47 PM
What do you guys think? Usually the first thing i do, pop the cherry so to speak on my cars that i get is to put an exhaust on it. Since everything else on this car is stock, the exhaust is perfectly fine with no rust, im debating putting something in it.

It has a soft grumble to it, but its hard to imagine what it will sound like with a flowmaster/magnaflow or whatnot since ive only had one other v8 and it had a stock/oem muffler.

What do you guys think? Ive watched some videos but we all know videos sound way different than real life.

xpbr2000
07-15-2014, 04:51 PM
borla FTW

fbodyrs96
07-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Borla

xpbr2000
07-15-2014, 05:11 PM
borla Atak sounds amazing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wp-0WhoBIY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SixShooter'00Camaro
07-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Borla or Dynomax.

Bonemaro
07-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Borla

Nas Escobar
07-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Honestly, I would cam the engine first then get an exhaust. The lope with a nice exhaust is just beautiful... case in point....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI9Pw7SJMGE

Also, I would get Flowmaster Super 40s on it. I know the consensus here seems to be Borlas, but I feel Flowmasters are made for V8's and that's just the thing... We're a V6 community and we can't slap Flowmasters on our 3800s because our engine just has a bad exhaust note to begin with.

In all honesty though, a full exhaust job would be in order, not just a muffler. Your engine will sound so much different with headers and 2.50 or 2.75 inch pipe than just an exhaust and stock piping.

fbodyrs96
07-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Flowmaster sucks, not just on the v6. An oem flows better then crapmaster.

Nas Escobar
07-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Flowmaster sucks, not just on the v6. An oem flows better then crapmaster.
How do you feel about cherry bombs line of mufflers?

fbodyrs96
07-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Never used one, or know anyone personally that has one.

insidethreat07
07-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Flowmaster for this guy

SlasherVRGR
07-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Incase no one knows, 3rd gens have the same exhaust from the axle back as we do. So true duals is a chore on them like it is on ours. I'd say borla, I'll make a video of mine to give you a rough idea of what the adjustable cat back sounds like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Nas Escobar
07-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Never used one, or know anyone personally that has one.

The reason I ask is because someone on the other forum I post recommended Cherry Bomb mufflers for my Cutlass Supreme that has a 60 degree V6 but as I researched them I learned that their line has mostly free flowing mufflers but depending which one you get, they can be pretty sedate unless you get a glasspack or their newest "extreme" muffler which is just a box with a flange.

I'm not sure what the O.P. is looking for exactly so it makes it hard. I personally like a low tone grumble with no drone, but others on here are fond of the Borla sound. I personally feel the Borla allows too many high pitched soundwaves to pass through, but to each their own right?

Here is something I did find on youtube concerning Cherry Bombs mufflers that are not the infamous glasspacks.

Seems to me these mufflers are quiet when idle and get loud when you floor em, which I'm not sure if that's what the O.P. wants or if he wants a grumble at idle.

Vortex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMFwjXlvmY

Turbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W29A8xzJdg

Glasspack (just for fun)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lRGJjEogG0

Bonemaro
07-17-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm a Magnaflow guy personally. It's stainless steel body design makes it perfect for time travel.

AUscorp1
07-17-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm a Magnaflow guy personally. It's stainless steel body design makes it perfect for time travel.

That only works if you run it in conjunction with a flux capacitor.

I have no useful contribution to this discussion since I still run the factory exhaust and probably won't change it out anytime soon.

fbodyrs96
07-17-2014, 05:52 PM
I've yet to hear any high pitch sounds form borla, like I did when I had flowmaster and magnaflow crap.

Video
07-21-2014, 01:42 PM
I prefer turbo style mufflers which i think Borla offers. I want to keep the existing exhaust because its in beautiful shape and its stainless. Itd be a waste, and theyre large pipes too.

Turbo style mufflers imo offer the best performance, theyre basically straight pipes with perforations and packing around it. I dont see any reason to say get a borla over a magnaflow other than sound.

fbodyrs96
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
The pro xs is a straight the design with the perforation, in the stock setup design.

xpbr2000
07-21-2014, 03:41 PM
XR1s are as well. I think most of borlas products are that way except for the custom/special stuff.

SlasherVRGR
08-10-2014, 04:45 PM
What muffler is in the adjustable cat back? It sounded awesome in the winter time when I blocked the right side pipe(wide open exhaust) with snow lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk