PDA

View Full Version : my air intake...

kdm212
11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
ok so i have the stock air intake with the air baffles installed. i was pondering just shaving the inside of the stock box and then removing the baffles...temporary mod, but is it worth it? think i will notice any difference at all? maybe more air nose and flow but how much will that really be?

thoughts?

kdm212
11-03-2014, 09:43 PM
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/showthread.php?27005-100-Homemade-RAM-AIR-style-CAI

dustin, how hard would this be for you to make? would you be interested?

Chickenfloss
11-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I don't want to start an argument, but if it was me I would just baffle delete and leave the box alone. When you cut it, that spot on your filter goes much faster than normal and any debris hitting it at high speeds could cause tears resulting in dirt/dust in the engine.

Then you have the question of does it really do anything for you? SLP tested these things in a wind tunnel at 75MPH winds with the car ANCHORED to a dyno. It gave all of like 1-2PSi max boost(on the ram air hoods). Well that sounds wonderful right? Well here is the problem, it increases drag. A problem not present when you are strapped to the ground on a dyno. In real world your car is fighting the air to move forward.

The ram air would have little effect until higher speeds 70+ at these speeds you are moving immense amounts of air around. This number is greatly exacerbated by surface area. By adding the duct infront of an inlet you are increasing the surface area. So it might add power, but it may be offset by the power required to move the air. It could even result in a loss of efficiency.

Engine power would be increased of course, but you can have the most powerful motor in the world and it wouldn't mean much if you are pushing around and object too large to move. However, it could actually give more power than needed to compensate for drag, but I haven't seen the math saying either way yet. It's such a small power boost why increase the cost of air filter replacements is my vote. My best guess is, at best, this will increase throttle response slightly. You can get that just by taking the slack out of your aged throttle cable.

I'm not raining on anyone's parade. Like I said I have no idea if it's better or not, but I played with the idea of doing this mod for awhile and this is just the assumptions I came up with.

**ADDED** I think it would probably be just as efficient to add a cold air intake below the heatline of the engine bay. I don't think ram will be good for pressure boost, but will increase air availability and lower the temperature. A decent CAI out of the way of heat, but still within the windshield of the bumper cover would give the same effect here, without added drag.

xpbr2000
11-04-2014, 10:52 AM
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/showthread.php?27005-100-Homemade-RAM-AIR-style-CAI

dustin, how hard would this be for you to make? would you be interested?

hard? not very. But Going through this much trouble for very little... if any gain at all doesn't pay for itself. It doesn't look good either. that my opinion though.

the free ram air mod that CF mentioned isn't really "ram air" the air is scooping up with the radiator scoop but thats not really ramming air because the radiator is one big hole if you think about it. the "Free ram air" mod is mostly for CAI which is a good mod. I doubt the air traveling up the radiator scoop has enough force to tear up the fabric on a filter.

Chickenfloss
11-04-2014, 11:30 AM
hard? not very. But Going through this much trouble for very little... if any gain at all doesn't pay for itself. It doesn't look good either. that my opinion though.

the free ram air mod that CF mentioned isn't really "ram air" the air is scooping up with the radiator scoop but thats not really ramming air because the radiator is one big hole if you think about it. the "Free ram air" mod is mostly for CAI which is a good mod. I doubt the air traveling up the radiator scoop has enough force to tear up the fabric on a filter.

I wasn't thinking air, but more along the lines of road debris, depending on where that scoop gets located. Like bugs, pebbles, sticks, and so on ricocheting into the filter. It's probably unlikely I suppose. As I said though, really all I have is conjecture, it may be a perfectly good mod to do.

kdm212
11-04-2014, 01:20 PM
alright, so i just finished reading all of this. both of you make a good point. so really i should go k&n fipk or bust. in the meantime just delete the silencer...right?

xpbr2000
11-04-2014, 02:50 PM
I would agree with that. those things are just there to keep the "gargle" of the 3800 silent lol

SlasherVRGR
11-05-2014, 06:19 PM
I've had my SLP "ram air" scoop like that installed for a while now with no problems. It lowers my iat by a nice chunk. As long as I'm not sitting for more than 5 mins it never gets above 10 over the outside temp. That's what ram air is about. It intakes fresh, cool air.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SlasherVRGR
11-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Also the scoop we're talking about adds 0% drag. It goes above the radiator air deflector.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk