PDA

View Full Version : Best intake setup for my 98 3.8 firebird?

Spikers
11-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Hi I have a 98 3.8 v6 firebird and I just had the borla cat back exhaust installed and I am looking to upgrade my intake setup. The intake setup is completely stock right now and I am trying to figure out what I can do since I have the angled throttle body?
Thanks

xpbr2000
12-01-2014, 10:20 AM
just port and polish the intake. It breaths fine for a NA setup. Now as for the filter setup there are very few options besides a custom setup. ebay kits (AKA chrome intakes) work well. or if you just delete the silencer it would help flow.

SlasherVRGR
12-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Free ram air and fin delete on the lid will help out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

xpbr2000
12-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Free ram air and fin delete on the lid will help out.

oh yeah I forgot 98 is the over the radiator setup

there are several setup people have tried but nothing that really gains

SlasherVRGR
12-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Yeah the loop system to me seems to introduce quite a bit of turbulence.. the air has to go through a 360 loop

xpbr2000
12-02-2014, 10:18 AM
I think its the better solution IMO. the air doesn't have to change directions. Turbo does seem to mind throwing air in a 360* loop.

SlasherVRGR
12-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Turbo is more about compression than flow at that point.

Also the loop on the turbo being restrictive would help it build more boost!

Its better than stock yes, but if the loop thing was such a brilliant idea why wouldn't every car just have a million bends and curves in the intake tract?

xpbr2000
12-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Turbo is more about compression than flow at that point.

Also the loop on the turbo being restrictive would help it build more boost!

Its better than stock yes, but if the loop thing was such a brilliant idea why wouldn't every car just have a million bends and curves in the intake tract?

they have bends and if the engineers design them correctly they are as generous as possible. like the loop. best solution isn't the same as a perfect solution. Angled TB is the problem.

SlasherVRGR
12-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Indeed, but I still say the initial dryer hose that everyone was using was a better solution. Almost a straight shot, less length, just seems like a more logical step in the right direction to me.