PDA

View Full Version : GTP supercharger

Grimm1127
08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi,

can i fit the supercharger from a GTP on to my 99 firebird?

TIA

freakv6
08-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Short anwser...yes. However their is a lot to it. Plenty of fabrication, as well as alot of diffrent parts. I belive the majority believe it is not worth it for the gain.

Will
08-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Isnt that just a eaton S/C???

freakv6
08-25-2008, 10:16 AM
yea, the eaton m90.

firebirdkid96
08-25-2008, 11:28 AM
You will need a custom tubular k member. as well as coil relo's, amongst other things.

It's not worth the 30 hp. Just buy a powerdyne BD-114

Bonemaro
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Dang... all you get is 30HP? What's the Powerdyne good for?

freakv6
08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
it actually should be a little more then 30, but not much. the factory l67 is good for 40 more horse, assuming you just do a complete l67 swap. if you were to to put the m90 on top of our motor you could actually see more since ours are higher compression (assuming you were knock free). still not worth it

Will
08-25-2008, 08:42 PM
it actually should be a little more then 30, but not much. the factory l67 is good for 40 more horse, assuming you just do a complete l67 swap. if you were to to put the m90 on top of our motor you could actually see more since ours are higher compression (assuming you were knock free). still not worth it

Eaton's on ebay are like $100 lol. and yes the only power gain is 40 or our stock 3.8. As to a stock L67 Without the eaton im not sure of.

Grimm
08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
You will need a custom tubular k member. as well as coil relo's, amongst other things.

It's not worth the 30 hp. Just buy a powerdyne BD-114

You are wrong good sir. K-member stays stock. Why would you even need to modify it?

Since we got this stupid dual forum thing going on, let me quote myself.

hanks. I guess i'll have to see what i get after my build is done. :twisted:

By my calculations it should be 400hp to the crank.

*edit*
by the way, the stock l67 motor makes 240hp and 280ftlbs of torque. That's a very worthwhile upgrade to me in stock form over the 200/225 the stock l36 makes. The more low end torque is a lot of fun as well. But that's just me.

And here's my mod list:

~1999 Firebird~
L67 rotating assembly
ZZP Stage 3 heads
ZZP XPZ cam
CIA headers
Gen V m90 supercharger with custom case
ZZP Short Stack Intercooler(yet to be installed)

I'm moving to a tubular k-member with lowered motor mounts for extra clearance with my intercooler. If it weren't for the intercooler i'd have clearance with the stock k-member.

*edit*
The only real fabrication other than lengthening some wires is cutting and welding a sweep around on the passenger side to mount the throttlebody.

I guess i should educate people with the car that already ran.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o210/majourlittle/DSC04116.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o210/majourlittle/DSC04118-Copy.jpg

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/751159978.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=59978)

Car ran mid 13's with a relatively small cam and valvespring upgrade on an otherwise stock l67 and stock-ish camaro. He invested around $1500 and ended up in the mid 13's. Sounds kinda worthwhile to me. :shrug:

freakv6
08-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Their would be be a lot of people that wouldnt agree with it being worth it in its stock form. with all the fab that is required (for getting the inlet of the sc routed back to the front, coil relocatoin, messing with the brake booster, etc) a lot of people see it easier to just go with a shot of n20, or go ahead and install a powerdyne unit. Another thing working against the m90 is that its a roots style setup, which is the most enefficent style of s/c there is. and of course your limited on your intercooler options. The is no doubt it can make power and be a good setup, its just a bit more limited then other options.

Grimm
08-26-2008, 05:55 PM
*shrug* Different strokes for different folks. I see it as a cheap alternative to a crappy powerdyne or an extremely expensive procharger unit.

What brake booster mods? There are none. As for coil relocation...that location in the picture is stock for an l67. You just have to lengthen wires. All in all, i would consider it less fab work than having to mock up an entire turbo set up...and there are plenty of people running those.

Again, the only actual fabrication is the back of the supercharger and the coolant neck(forgot about that one). Everything else is the re-use of stock parts or lengthening wires...which is fairly simple and straight forward in my mind.

*edit*
I don't disagree at all about there being better options. All i'm saying is don't sell this swap short. It can be done relatively inexpensively and can be made bone stock reliable if done right.

freakv6
08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Being said like that, yea it dont sound like to much. I thought i remembered it their being more to it when i read his orginal thread. I do remember him saying their would be diffrent clearance issues with diffrent years though. Either way it looks like you will have a strong setup. I may have missed it but are u bolting this to at t5 or auto? any upgrades planned for that?

Grimm
08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah, the differences come up with they went to throttle by wire. The 96-97 cars have some different clearance issues as well. I think he decided that a 98 would be the perfect year for the swap.

I'm auto...stock auto. For now i'm just going to see how far i can get with a stock trans. When it breaks, i'll look into an upgraded one. I have a TCI 3800rpm stall from my last build, but i'm getting it restalled to around 3000rpm to deal with the different way this motor makes power. Some of the GTP guys i've talked to even like as low as a 2700rpm before they do head work.

mannyz28!
03-05-2013, 01:59 AM
what did you do to the EGR line ??? did you extended it cuz thats what im going to do, i plan to keep the same carb set up but with the mustang 5.0 cab alum elblow for less fab work. have you driven it on the expressway ? i wonder how it does on gas?

SixShooter'00Camaro
03-05-2013, 03:59 AM
Look at the date of the last post bro.