Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New whine after racing

Default New whine after racing

Tonight was the first time I took my car out after racing. I noticed a loud whine that sounds like it is coming back the back of the car. It occurs only when accelerating with the tranny engaged.

1. clutch in - no sound
    2. clutch in, revving enging - no sound
    3. clutch out, no gas - no sound
    4. clutch out, throttle - whine.

Any rpm range from that I could, and almost any amount of throttle.

T5, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 motives with Auburn posi.

I have some thoughts, but I want to see what you guys think.

The shift knob (flameball) picked up a rattle too. It is as tight as it can go...WTH?
    Last edited by SpeedingFirebird; 06-04-2009 at 07:22 AM.

The rear most likely is gonna be the gears. I want to say that motive is known to end up with noise aren't they? on number 3, even though you are giving it no throttle is the car still moving, or do you mean clutch out and out of gear as well? Are you sure its coming from the back of the car and not the tranny itself (throwout bearing)?

As for the shifter ball i would imagine the threads are not actually cut into the ball are they? I would guess their is a metal insert that has the threads, that insert is prolly a bit loose and causing that rattle.

|freakv6 12:21| bone will let people take his car out for joy rides at the g14
    |Pace 12:22| I vote we take the freak out for some joyrides.
    |freakv6 12:22| you can pace, then maybe you can drive the car afterwords

Start out with a few cheaper things first. Look at the tail shaft seal on the trans and make sure it's not cracked. Mine cracked just from installing an aluminum driveshaft. Maybe look at the u-joints on the driveshaft. Also check the trans mount to see if it's still solid and not broken or loose.

Gears are really what come to mind, but checking the small things first shouldn't hurt. The rear end on my car has been howling under load in the past few times I've have it out since September.

From what I recall, Richmond gears tend to be the ones that are noisier, but setup and condition are really what it comes down to.

Quote Originally Posted by freakv6 View Post
    The rear most likely is gonna be the gears. I want to say that motive is known to end up with noise aren't they? on number 3, even though you are giving it no throttle is the car still moving, or do you mean clutch out and out of gear as well?
    All of them are with the car moving. I think that rules out the rear end since with the engine disengaged, it goes away.

Are you sure its coming from the back of the car and not the tranny itself (throwout bearing)?
    I sounds like the back of the car, but the throwout bearing is my current thought. Note, the tranny was rebuilt a few years ago (4 - 5K miles).

As for the shifter ball i would imagine the threads are not actually cut into the ball are they? I would guess their is a metal insert that has the threads, that insert is prolly a bit loose and causing that rattle.
    good point. It is sort of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by pace View Post
    Start out with a few cheaper things first. Look at the tail shaft seal on the trans and make sure it's not cracked. Mine cracked just from installing an aluminum driveshaft. Maybe look at the u-joints on the driveshaft. Also check the trans mount to see if it's still solid and not broken or loose.
    Good ideas! I was curious about the u-joints. I have heard of them making noise, but never had the pleasure. What do I look for? Would it still make noise when not giving it throttle?

Oh ok, i was thinking the car wasn't moving in all but the last scenario. In that case it is most likely in the tranny. When u-joints go out it is usually an intermittent clunking sound, so if its constant i would lean towards the throwout bearing.

Oh ok, i was thinking the car wasn't moving in all but the last scenario. In that case it is most likely in the tranny. When u-joints go out it is usually an intermittent clunking sound, so if its constant i would lean towards the throwout bearing.
    I was afraid you were going to say that. u-joints are easier. The throwout is not that old though.

thats it. you're fucked.
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedingFirebird View Post
    I was afraid you were going to say that. u-joints are easier. The throwout is not that old though.
    I imagine it saw a good bit of abuse at the track though. I wonder if they make a better aftermarket one. might be work looking into. Good news is that its not going to effect the driveability anytime soon. Its more just the annoyance of the sound.

I imagine it saw a good bit of abuse at the track though. I wonder if they make a better aftermarket one. might be work looking into. Good news is that its not going to effect the driveability anytime soon. Its more just the annoyance of the sound.
    I just did a bunch of research online. It looks like it is the input shaft bearing, not the TOB. This dude sums it up well:

"Noise when the clutch is ENGAGED (IE pedal off the floor).

It is the Input shaft bearing. Think about it. The throw out bearing is ONLY engaged when the clutch pedal is pushed down ( clutch = disengaged). The throwout bearing sits on the clutch fork, therefore is only active when the clutch is disengaged.

The Input shaft bearing spins, whenever the input shaft is moving, it is the first bearing to be spun if youd like to look at it that way.

There is a lot of confusion, TOB noise would be when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor, input shaft is when the clutch pedal is off the floor."

$2K for a rebuild down the crapper.

Is it going to need a full rebuild for that? Surely not, even though i guess while your in there u might as well get it all done. What sucks is thats only like a 16 dollar part too. If you do get it redone i would talk with the mechanic and see if he can find you a higher quality piece then last time.

Thread Information