Thread: I still hate drag racing.

Default I still hate drag racing.

OK I fought off the rain in Union Grove at Great Lakes Dragway. Thought it was going to be a great night because of the cool weather. I was looking for a 15.4 and I failed again. My car just couldn't get traction. I tried launching at about 1200 rpms. Still spun. My best 60' time was 2.5xx. My best 1/4 mile time was 15.7 at 90.43 mph. I could have sworn that going about 90 was in high 14, low 15 territory.

Then to end my night I had to limp my car home. I'm guessing dead alternator. My volt gauge just kept getting lower and lower. I made it about half way back home and my car ran like crap with no headlights or speedometer then it died. So my room mate helped me get it back. We had to keep recharging the battery every 4 miles or so.

Back to drag racing. I can't launch to save my life. I've tried everything I can think of. I've practiced tons of times. My car gets better traction on the street that's all I can say. My room mate said that VHT won't work when it is cold. I kept telling him my car is "over tractioned" and I have nothing to worry about. Before I stage I do a tiny 1 second long burnout to clean my tire. That is all. I thought and have been told my car has low 15's in it at least. I know of a guy with a 3.8 V6 with just intake and exhaust that runs 15.1 at 88 mph. He still has a peg leg and still gets a 2.1ish 60' time. I'm just mad that I can't match that time but can go 2 mph faster.
    Mods: SLP Cold Air Intake, Pacesetter headers, catco cat, 3" Borla, PCMforless Tune, Aluminum Driveshaft, Spec Clutch, Proform shifter. Suspension mods: 33mm front sway bar, Tokico Shocks, Z28 Rear sway bar, UMI Panhard Bar.

your car easily has a low 15 or high 14 in it. what kind of tires are you running? psi in them? when taking off do you feather it after the launch to keep tire sping to a minimum?

|freakv6 12:21| bone will let people take his car out for joy rides at the g14
    |Pace 12:22| I vote we take the freak out for some joyrides.
    |freakv6 12:22| you can pace, then maybe you can drive the car afterwords

I have kumho ecsta asx tires. 245/50/16. I have 22 psi on the back right since that is the main wheel. I put 24 in the left one just to keep it somewhat even. I want to blame it on my clutch. I can't really feather it. I want to blame it on having my car set up more for auto-x. The weight probably doesn't go back as much any more. I think I'm just dumping the clutch and slamming on the gas. I keep telling myself to take it easy but my feet don't do what my brain says. I try to keep tire spinning to a minimum. But it feels like as soon as I get on the gas within the first 60 feet it will spin then bog on me. I can't get a nice clean take off.
    Mods: SLP Cold Air Intake, Pacesetter headers, catco cat, 3" Borla, PCMforless Tune, Aluminum Driveshaft, Spec Clutch, Proform shifter. Suspension mods: 33mm front sway bar, Tokico Shocks, Z28 Rear sway bar, UMI Panhard Bar.

Let the clutch slip when you launch it. and get some better tires, kumho's dpnt hook at all, even on a good burnout.
    Y87 Package
    MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

a little advice..take it for what its worth.

at this point in time dont go to the track "looking too or trying" for a best.
    just go to have fun.
    relax.
    go with NO expectations.
    many go to the track trying to hard, they put toooooo much pressure on themselves and this usually ends up frustrating, they make mistakes, they get into a hurry.
    change your outlook on the event(s).
    go with the intend to "just have fun".
    what this does is it takes the self imposed pressure off..and it usually ends up being more fun...more fun makes it worth while...
    during this time of having fun/relaxing/just playing you are practicing.
    with practice come better times.
    if u must concentrate on something then work on one thing at a time.
    like the 60..dont even make full passes..just work different techniques for coming off the line nice a smooth.
    no 2 cars like to be launched the exact same way, you have to find your sweet spot, this is where working on one thing at a time comes in to play.
    i had those same tires on my old sc c5..if i was too agressive off the line then they went up in smoke..but after some practice i believe i pulled a best short of a high 1.8x....with a 475h/465tq car (full tq at 2700rpm).

set up.
    keep things consistent.
    dont change to many things while out playing/learning what the car likes.
    being street tires keep both of the rears the exact same pressure.

for your next visit...remove the front sway bar...thats a huge ass bar you have.
    actually you dont "need" to remove it..just disconnect the end links (yes both sides)
    this will help the suspension transfer more weight to the rear.
    it will feel wierd driving to the track, just be smart..no high speed cornering.
    you'll probably pick up a couple of tenths by doing this and relaxing.

/\ very true. the more the you try harder...you can miss gears, bad reation times etc. just relax.

take a pee ahead of time too. *weight reduction*
    Sometimes ur knight in shining armor is really just a retard in tin foil

[QUOTE=take a pee ahead of time too. *weight reduction*[/QUOTE]

Lmao, best advice EVAR!!

Really though Dan makes a great point, if you go out their worrying about screwing up your goint to. Learn to slip the clutch as you take off. Rule of thumb is to take about .2 for every .1 you take off your 60 ft. time. Even if thats not exactly true, you can at least expect a nice low 15 with a decent 60.

|freakv6 12:21| bone will let people take his car out for joy rides at the g14
    |Pace 12:22| I vote we take the freak out for some joyrides.
    |freakv6 12:22| you can pace, then maybe you can drive the car afterwords

Usd2sing brought up a lot of good points. I really do need to relax and focus on one thing at a time. I think for next time I go, I will just focus on my launch. Last night I tried to do to many things at once. I ended up trying to go go go right at the light. I think if I would just forget about reaction time and maybe just sit there for a second I would be able to get a good launch. It kinda bugs me that my car hooks up better on the street. The track just felt slippery. I'm assuming 50* weather would have something to do with it.

I would undo my front sway bar but I'm away at school and have very limited access to tools.

What is a good tire psi? Is 22 psi not low enough?

I'm just getting frustrated that I've done this 3 times before and I still haven't dialed it in. The first time at the drag strip I couldn't spin my tires. My old clutch was FUBAR. hehe

Thanks for the help guys.

asx's...30-32lbs
    basically 3-4lbs less than normal street pressure, nothing to dramatic like 22.
    less pressure = tire fold..(not good for a street tire) and less roll out.
    practice.
    enjoy/have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Black3800 View Post
    Usd2sing brought up a lot of good points. I really do need to relax and focus on one thing at a time. I think for next time I go, I will just focus on my launch. Last night I tried to do to many things at once. I ended up trying to go go go right at the light. I think if I would just forget about reaction time and maybe just sit there for a second I would be able to get a good launch. It kinda bugs me that my car hooks up better on the street. The track just felt slippery. I'm assuming 50* weather would have something to do with it.

I would undo my front sway bar but I'm away at school and have very limited access to tools.

What is a good tire psi? Is 22 psi not low enough?

I'm just getting frustrated that I've done this 3 times before and I still haven't dialed it in. The first time at the drag strip I couldn't spin my tires. My old clutch was FUBAR. hehe

Thanks for the help guys.
    The weather does have something to do with it, being that cold its hard to really get good traction. But just practice the launches until you feel you have that down and then work on whatever else you want to work on. The next thing maybe making sure you shift how and when you want, only ever need to worry about reaction times if you are competing and test and tune nights are for fun.

Thread Information