Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Angry Bird. LastCallKillIt's Build.

Quote Originally Posted by LastCallKillIt View Post
    well shit! i'll clear it
    done! PM sent.

Well made it down to here yesterday

and discovered this.

A bent push rod.

What makes it better is, I don't know if I need to order shorter ones or not. I obviously need the stronger ones considering the car never went past 3,000 RPM when I drove it. It bent due to the heads being decked, which simulates a higher lift cam on the valvetrain, which puts more stress on the push rods etc. I don't know for sure that its just because stock is too weak, or if they need to be shorter. If they need to be shorter I have no idea how to determine the length.

The heads are decked .025".
    -Cammed
    -Stalled
    -Geared

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

what exactly happened to the motor? sure that rod didnt bend because of the failure?

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

that is also possible. I just wasn't sure.
    -Cammed
    -Stalled
    -Geared

I think it was probably a valve/ piston collision when the cam key sheared off. Probably gonna pull the heads tomorrow. More than likely gonna end up running the stock l26 heads that came on it, they are an upgrade over the l36 heads still.
    -Cammed
    -Stalled
    -Geared

Damn it boy! I think summit sells a measuring tool just for that. And I bet the piston did hit the valve causing it to bend. Make sure the valve isnt bent to. As bad ass as it sounded Id probably just run the other heads.

And comp does have hardened push rods, I have some in my car.

3.4L with some goodies
    custom paint with a touch of 1978
    http://www.v6f-body.com/showthread.php?t=3065

Thats the plan.

L26 heads, comp rod/ lifters (probably) ls springs and be done with it. Was looking forward to having some of the higher GT2 numbers, but fuck this headache. I need my car back.
    -Cammed
    -Stalled
    -Geared

Pulled the head with the bent push rod.......

Broken exhaust valve on cylinder 5. Surprisingly not cylinder 3 which had the bent push rod. The other 2 exhaust valves are bent, judging by them not being all the way seated adn their springs being slightly compressed.

At this point I don't know what im gonna do. Take it to a machine shop and spend the $$$ to have new valves made with the 5 angle job like the rest, and have them check the guides- or pull the other fucking head, swap the valve train ( comp rods, lifters, the 105# springs, manley retainers, keepers, the new seals from these and just run those stock heads with them and have my car running again a lot sooner.

So everything that could possibly go wrong with what happened happened, besides cracking a piston. Lucky me.

-Cammed
    -Stalled
    -Geared

yep i have seen this happen a couple times. i can see where both valved hit the piston. if it were me i would just put the other heads on and take your time on the set you had on. you could always put them on when your done with them. But thats me i would hate to have this thing off the road.

Thats probably what im gonna do. i just ordered push rods for those heads, gonna have to send them back for stock length now. Well, then again CincyBird has been running 7.00" push rods instead of 7.05" on his GT2 for 6 months with no issues.

Yeah like stated before, this car IS my daily driver. This blows a lot, I need it running again asap. Not to mention, that cam gear is stuck on the cam so I cant pull the cam out because of the keyway metal holding it together. Gonna have to grind the metal off.
    -Cammed
    -Stalled
    -Geared

Thread Information