Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Polish Hood/Hatch Struts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to Polish Hood/Hatch Struts

Don't think I ever posted it on here, since Brent was doing it, thought I should.

A quick way to make your Hood and Rear Hatch Struts look like new.

Things you need:

Sand Paper: grit 320-400-800-1000 and 1500 (this is what I already had, you my use different products.)
    Wire Wheel (optional for the 320)
    Assistant/Extra set of hands (Not necessary but definitely helpful when lifting heavy hatch/hood)
    Clear Coat spray paint or
    a can of Fluid Film
    Expect Approx. 1 hour per strut

Process:

Remove the strut: On the ball & socket joint that attaches to the actual hood/hatch you’ll see a small slit in the socket where you’ll insert a flat-head screwdriver in place to pop the socket off the ball. Remove the old strut now and have your assistant slowly lower the hood/hatch.
    Clean the black paint off with 320 grit sand paper or a wire wheel.
    Then sand the bare metal with 400 grit…then 800…then 1000…then 1500… wet sanding worked the best once you’re to the 800.
    After that polish with a quality metal polish of your choice (if you have a bench grinder use it with a polishing wheel) or dremel tool.
    Reinstall is reverse of removal.
    Consider finishing off with a coat or two of clear coat, or Fluid Film to avoid any rusting/oxidation to the now exposed metal.
    Now stand back and enjoy your new polished struts!

Nice write up man! I don't think that's something I've ever even thought about doing!

Do you mind if I copy and paste this write up for my 300M forum? Giving proper credit to you of course. ;-) We have hood and trunk struts on the 300M just like these too. I think this would look great on my silver 300M too!

no problem, go ahead. at least you asked, there was a guy on LS1tech that used my write and pics and tried to claim it has his, he got shut down in a hurry when a friend noticed it was my car.

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyrs96 View Post
    no problem, go ahead. at least you asked, there was a guy on LS1tech that used my write and pics and tried to claim it has his, he got shut down in a hurry when a friend noticed it was my car.
    Hahaha, that's funny as hell. I wouldn't use a write up without the author's knowledge.

Thanks man! I got it up over there now too. If you'd like to check it out, the link is http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27981

very nice! stickied!
    "God should have taken 2 ribs instead of 1 to create women.... for balance" - xpbr2000

I cleared mine, Not very happy with it. Im gonna redo them and find another way fto keep them from turning.

3.4L with some goodies
    custom paint with a touch of 1978
    http://www.v6f-body.com/showthread.php?t=3065

Quote Originally Posted by 1-Kustombird View Post
    I cleared mine, Not very happy with it. Im gonna redo them and find another way fto keep them from turning.
    Yeah I tried putting clear on mine to last night, looked like shit and flaked off when it was dry. There's got to be something we could use to coat them with.

Mine dulled when I sprayed the clear on. plus they are two different struts.

3.4L with some goodies
    custom paint with a touch of 1978
    http://www.v6f-body.com/showthread.php?t=3065

Thread Information