Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Revive The Black Pearl

So that piece that bent is just the radiator support? It looks like its welded to the frame is it?

1LOMARO is offline Captain V6F-Body Bouncer
    LS PLUS Supporting Membership

From what I see you will need a new radiator support and the metal for the fenders needs to be straightened back out. my car took a hit on the drivers side before i got it and was able to get most of metal work back into shape using a come-a-long and some ingenuity. It might be worthwhile to have it put on a frame machine to see if the front is still within tolerance.
    Last edited by 1LOMARO; 07-12-2012 at 12:12 PM.

"There is no shame in owning a V6. Anyone that makes fun of you is just upset that they spent more money than you, and their penis didn't get any bigger..."

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sweetv6camaroguy View Post
    So that piece that bent is just the radiator support? It looks like its welded to the frame is it?
    yes it is conencted to the inner fenders.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

So i can just bang that little dent in the inner fender out and get a new radiator support and weld it back in? Also what if i get bad news from this frame machine? Do i have to get my whole front frame reworked? I didnt really hit the guy that hard i went up underneath him and thats why my front bumper didnt take much damage if any havent got a good look

One more last question. My coolant always looks really nasty for some reason just my coolant my oil is fine and my car ran extremely well so it wasnt like a blown head gasket or anything. Is it a bad radiator or is there some gasket that needs to be changed? And by real nasty i mean brown and sludgy. I never leaked oil or anything so i dont know what it could be

Quote Originally Posted by sweetv6camaroguy View Post
    One more last question. My coolant always looks really nasty for some reason just my coolant my oil is fine and my car ran extremely well so it wasnt like a blown head gasket or anything. Is it a bad radiator or is there some gasket that needs to be changed? And by real nasty i mean brown and sludgy. I never leaked oil or anything so i dont know what it could be
    If you run or the previous owner ran DexCool, its been known to turn into/ look like that, thats why alot of guys dont run it. Flush out your radiator and run something else, like Prestone.
    Last edited by SixShooter'00Camaro; 07-13-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    Tyler.
    The DD, 1999 Camaro Y87 Package, tune/intake/exhaust.
    The Project, 2000 Camaro, powerdyne/headers/true duals/posi/3:42s/suspension stuff.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline Sergeant Major LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Site Moderator

Dex is fine, just too many people let it get low or never bother checking it because it's supposed to be long life. It turns brown because our blocks are made of iron and when the fluid level gets a little low air hits it and makes it get a little surface rust, then that comes off into the dex.

I just keep it all flushed every other year. Just flush out your system, run a cleaner through it, flush it some more, then fill it up with coolant.

2013 Camaro 1LS | 00 Monte Carlo SS | 68 Camaro SS

AUscorp1 is offline First Sergeant LS PLUS Supporting Membership

Good advice on the Dex-Cool to change it at least every other year. It definitely is not good for the 5 years they originally thought. I wish I had taken pictures of my coolant when I bought my car. It was a bit chunky but I got it cleaned out pretty good.

The only other thing I'd add is that you'll want to replace your radiator cap and thermostat/gasket when you get the car running again. The Dex-Cool gunk builds up on both. I think it was under $20 for all of it.
    2001 Firebird Convertible, V6 4A, Y87, All Black, Daily Driver
    32MM Front Sway Bar; Whisper Lid

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
    Dex is fine, just too many people let it get low or never bother checking it because it's supposed to be long life. It turns brown because our blocks are made of iron and when the fluid level gets a little low air hits it and makes it get a little surface rust, then that comes off into the dex.
    I never knew that, good info.
    Tyler.
    The DD, 1999 Camaro Y87 Package, tune/intake/exhaust.
    The Project, 2000 Camaro, powerdyne/headers/true duals/posi/3:42s/suspension stuff.

Got the bumper cover off and the front bumper took no damage at all and also pulled the radiator support back. Just need to get the funds to rebuild it and itll be street able again

Last edited by xpbr2000; 07-16-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Thread Information