Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's 2001 Firebird Convertible

AUscorp1 is offline First Sergeant LS PLUS Supporting Membership

It's been 11 and 5 years since the last ones so maybe it wasn't quite that much. Anyway, I have a MightyVac. Maybe with it I can do as Kris said. Thanks.
    2001 Firebird Convertible, V6 4A, Y87, All Black, Daily Driver
    32MM Front Sway Bar; Whisper Lid

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

Last time i paid it was around 700. included compressor and that manifold on the rear.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Project for this weekend is to get the passenger side rear brake and turn signals working again. Both filaments in both bulbs look good and have continuity. The taillight circuit works fine (2 big bulbs and 1 little bulb turn on) but turn signal, hazard and brake do not. When in any of these conditions those filaments stay dark.

I made a copy of the wiring diagram from my Chilton manual and used color pencils to mark the paths I need to check. I only have a digital multimeter so have to track down a test light or make one. The digital meter may be able to test brake but will not work well for either flasher.

Administrator

well don't let those wire get you down . if only i had as few problems as this... I'm all jealy

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Well, I didn't get to troubleshoot this weekend so will just have to let it go until next week. I am off Tue - Sun so will have time to dedicate and also won't need to get to work.

This has been a very good car so far and it really is easy to fix and maintain.

Finally did the turn signal switch replacement. I was short on time so didn't bother troubleshooting the old one. Also, since I was short on time I did not get any photos to contribute to any write-ups on this subject. I followed the Chilton manual and it went as expected.

The cancel cam seemed to be fine, but since I was in there I went ahead and replaced it too since it also serves as the contacts for the horn and sits behind the lock plate.

Administrator

thats good news. i never look forward tearing into the column but its never been terrible.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Fun stuff.
    1993 Pontiac Firebird
    3.4L V6 / 4L60 Trans / Flowmaster Exhaust

Finally replaced the passenger side door speakers with the Stage 2 set from Kee Audio. The components are CDT.

Not the best picture, but I wanted to do the passenger side first in case I got stuck and had to drive the car until I could move on.

I did the sail panels a while back so now all that is left is the driver's door.

I don't mess much with my system so desoldered the factory wiring harnesses from the original speakers and soldered them to the new components. The only one that wound up being a splice was for the tweeter because there are no contacts on the CDT speaker.

I'll give a final review on the sound quality once I have it all done.

Now that I know how to do the door speakers I will try to make a better write-up with pictures for the driver's door provided I can get some camera assistance from one of my kids.
    Last edited by AUscorp1; 04-29-2014 at 09:48 PM.

I need to update this thread more often.
    1. The CDT speaker set sounds great! I can listen comfortably with the top down and the clarity is excellent with the top up. The mid-woofers provide good bass, but of course are no replacement for a sub. As has been discussed elsewhere, there is not an ideal solution for this in the convertibles.

2. Had to get new tires the Friday morning I was to leave for G18. Somehow the NTB in Huntsville had a set of BFG Traction T/A 235/55 R16 so I got them. This is a daily driver at 40 miles each way so I wanted a decent all-season with a long treadwear warranty. It is an upgrade from the 225/60 R16 touring tires that were on there, but that is not saying a whole lot. At least now I have what GM intended with the Y87 package.

3. Thanks to Dustin and Kris for pointing out my dead center brake lamp. I replaced the bulbs and now have full brake lighting.

4. Had a great time at G18 over Memorial Day weekend and received a V6 Class Award.

5. I hit 99,000 miles on my way to work this morning (2 Jun 2014). Tried to snap a pic of the odometer at that moment but had to wait because I was in traffic. I did reset the trip meter so hopefully will know within 0.1 miles when it will hit 100K.

Ideally I would like this to happen while crossing the Start/Finish line at Talladega running wide open with the top down and Eastbound and Down playing on the stereo. But since that is not likely, I am trying to think of some good alternatives to mark this milestone.

Hooters is kind of my go-to for this sort of thing (100K in my 1988 Celebrity and 200K in my 1997 LSS) so if I plan properly should be able to swing that. Otherwise, we do have rockets and other cool stuff on display in Huntsville so I may shoot for one of those locations. Lynchberg, TN is not out of the question, but would require a bit more planning. I have 990 miles to go but only about 800 miles to decide unless I want it to happen just anywhere.

Thread Information