Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Thread: 3.4L/3400

If this doesn't work out and smell fumes when I finally get the thing started that's the next attempt. I'm sure the 98 made changes to the assembly as well that will prevent me from using the 98 assembly
    '95 3.4L Camaro-- Top end swap in progress >

We got it to crank!

Been talking with a guy who reworks LS1 harnesses for conversions and we've been working through things. Being that the car was an auto before, we tried bypassing the Neutral Safety switch by jumping the starter relay terminal and sure as shit she tried cranking over. It's already late so continuing to try and start it wasn't an option but another hurdle conquered! We're going to attempt it again in the am and see where we get to.

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Robindehood View Post
    We got it to crank!

Been talking with a guy who reworks LS1 harnesses for conversions and we've been working through things. Being that the car was an auto before, we tried bypassing the Neutral Safety switch by jumping the starter relay terminal and sure as shit she tried cranking over. It's already late so continuing to try and start it wasn't an option but another hurdle conquered! We're going to attempt it again in the am and see where we get to.
    This is when it gets exciting!

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Spent the day messing with wires in an attempt to get constant power to the pcm, 12v to one of the injector wires, and power to the fuel pump. We have it priming now on the turn of the key, and our voltages are good. Just not enough battery power left right now to get it to turn over. Go figure right?

Send good vibes, we're turning the key tonight.

She runs! It was a long day and a short sleep last night but all the work put into learning the diagrams and pinouts paid off. It's very crude atm, and I had to jump the fuel pump relay with a paper clip to bypass the neutral safety switch from the previous auto but she officially runs!
    Need to button up the neutral safety switch/clutch switch wiring, get power to the rear hatch and reverse lights and figure out how to get the obd2 port to scan so that I can check codes and work on the tune.
    On top of those couple of things, we need to get the gauges and cooling fans sorted but that should be it for the wiring aspect of things.

I'm using the 98 ls1 style intake as well as there isn't enough room in the engine bay for the cold air intake that was on the 3.4L before. Planning on just running a straight silicone hose from the intake to the throttle body but I'm not sure if it has to be a specific type so if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.

Apart from that the engine seemed to be smoking on the right side so I want to make sure nothing is touching the headers and work on securing everything as far away from them as possible. It ran OK, but there's alot that needs to be sorted before I can really judge how the motor itself is running.

I'll upload a proper start up video tomorrow when it isn't a crappy cell phone video, but we hit a huge milestone today guys!

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

This is what I like to see. Go on you for sticking with it. I had faith you could figure it out

The quote below sums it up nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    "The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph"

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Another update,
    Been working on getting my OBD port to work and I can't quite get it to read. My aldl cable is good because it'll connect to ALDLDroid on my phone but won't read anything from the PCM. I'm going to redo my wiring and actually connect the wires instead of just a twitst. I have continuity between the pcm right to the port, but it's still failing to read.

Confirmed that there's a leaky injector so I have to decide if I want to keep the #28 injectors or if I want to downsize them to make the tuning easier. I know they're definitely tune-able, and I had to rework the injector harness for the trailblazer injectors so they'd connect to the 3400 harness, but the injectors aren't cheap to get new and I'm not sure if there are any at the local junkyard. Not sure what my other options are in terms of injectors that use that same style of connector but I would hate to have to redo them.

Other than that I still have to do the Neutral Safety switch bypass for electrical but I'm crossing my fingers that it'll be the last adjustment

Multiple updates in a day? What the hell is going on.

We have the Aldl Cable sorted out. Who would have thought that the cable itself also had drivers. Updated those and she started scanning right away! Going to finalize the wiring for it and that's another thing crossed off the list.

Another day another problem ��
    Replaced what I thought was a leaky injector and I'm having the same issues. On top of that, the oring and the pintel cap were just gone off the injector when I pulled it. Couldnt find anything in the valve and really dont want to pull the head off.
    On top of that sound I thought was a leaky injector, I also had fuel coming out of the throttle body so its somehow getting into the upper intake manifold ��*♂️
    I'm thinking the only way for it to get in there is through the vacuum line on top of the fuel pressure regulator, but they want 120 for a new one so I'm torn on what to do

Bit the bullet and replaced the FPR. Fired straight up and let it idle for a solid 15 mins. She shoulds healthy, but still want to dial the tune in a bit. Going to finish my permanent connections on the wires and solder them up, the route them how I want and move into the interior.

Still have to get that Neutral Safety switch fixed and adjusted to the clutch switch, redo the reverse light wiring and fix the hatch release button inside. I'll probably also do my double din install before installing the center console again but I'm super happy with the progress we've been making these last couple weeks. I'm going to take a solid gopro video when I take the car around the culdasac tomorrow so I'll get some footage of it actually running that I can post to youtube and then here!

Thread Information