xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

First drive video is required lol

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

T'was a slow day. Can't get a first drive video if you can't get the thing to run. My aldl cable is also fucked which means I can't tune it myself right now. All I can do is button up my wiring, seal the fuel pump hatch with some sheet metal, and maybe throw in the new double din setup. Still good things to do, but not what I want to be working on. I just want to drive this fuckin thing
    '95 3.4L Camaro-- Top end swap in progress >

You guys ever think you're working on a solution to a problem, finish, attempt to start it up and have it run worse?
    Then, go over in your head what the issues could be, start fixing them and find the problem on the last thing your checking?
    I pulled off the intake again and swapped to the stock 3400 injectors to see if it'll run decently with less fuel. Struggled to start and when it did, it ran awful. Feeling dejected, I pulled the plugs and started to pull off the intake again. Got the throttle body off and realized there was a section of harness routed underneath where the spark plug wires hook up to the coils. Guess what got pulled up when I removed the intake the first time?
    The section of harness. Guess what it undid?
    Half my spark plug wires.
    I've officially graduated from moron, to complete retard in a single night. I know I know, hold your applause.

More updates!
    It starts and runs at the turn of the key! Have to wire in the clutch switch so that it actually needs to be pressed in but I'll settle for the car starting without me having to jump the starter relay any day.
    Still don't have RPM or a Speedo, so I'm assuming there's some dash issues still so I can't really say I have no lights on because they might not be wired yet

Also have a ticking sound I'm trying to figure out the cause of before I attempt to drive it. Sounded a bit like a lifter but upon pulling the valve covers and running the car I can't see any variations in the rockers and they sound/feel identical. The header bolts are all slotted on the flanges so it's very possible that it's an exhaust leak, but the shop said they had fixed the leak. Wouldn't be the first time they said they had fixed something and hadn't though. Let me know if you guys have any opinions on what you think may be the cause.

Last edited by Robindehood; 08-22-2020 at 02:22 AM.

Administrator

I know we talk separately to this thread, but I wanted to say congrats on getting it running. You are on your way to getting a project that was nearly lost back to the road. That is exactly what we like to see on this forum. There isn't much more to do to these cars besides new type build and I'll wager this is the first 34/3400 in a late forth gen. One of a kind for sure.

just a few more things to iron out.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words.

Another step in the right direction today. While working on getting my courtesy lights to shut off I found a broken/cut ground under the column by my OBD port. Fixed that and not only do all of my lights work properly, but I noticed that I regained my odometer and all of my gauges *Seem* to be functioning properly except for the fuel gauge. I feel like I probably just messed with what reads the fuel level in the tank when I pulled the pump so I'll address that after I sort out some of these other bugs/gremlins. I'm not 100% sure that the coolant temp is working either as I haven't run it long enough to get up to temp so I'll sort that out once I get there.

My tach seems to be reading the idle as high, but it's also possible that I still have a vacuum leak somewhere that's causing the idle to sit around 2k as opposed to the ~1k that the engine was set to when we last hooked it up to the laptop to tune. I've been over the vacuum system multiple times now and I can't find anywhere that could be leaking. I'm currently waiting for a new ALDL cable to come up to Canada from the east coast. It was in Chicago on the 13th, and I haven't received an update about it since so I'm assuming it's across the line and they have to wait 2 weeks before sending it on it's way. I'm still having some issues with the drivers side lock switch being finicky, but I swapped in another one from the camaro that I had sitting around and it seems to work now. Not a permanent solution as it's black vs all the other grey switches, but it means that the switch is most likely dead.

Administrator

the pcm lowers the idle as it gets warmer. the idle at cold may start around 1k. it should slowly drop as the temperature drops. i set mine much lower since the coldest it gets here is -10C or 15F. winters are super mild here. there are many days in Nov and dec that are still 70-75f (21-23c)

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Yeah, I let it run for ~10 mins this morning and the Tach was still reading ~2k. I definitely still have a vacuum leak somewhere. I suspect my HVAC vacuum lines that run from inside the cab to the engine bay are probably all cracked so I'll be replacing the 2 that run in the engine bay. I believe one runs from the 3 way check valve to the intake manifold, and the other runs to the vacuum canister. I've read that it's down by where the horn is, but I haven't seen it yet. I know there's definitely an issue with the vacuum on these as I have no dash vent function. Could a vacuum leak in this system cause the idle to be so much higher than it was previously? I'm still not 100% sure that the tach is reading the idle correctly and I won't know for sure until my cable arrives.

The fan relay just stopped clicking last night. Didn't do anything it just stopped clicking. I disconnected the power and pulled the relay, went back out this morning and hooked everything up again. Fans don't constantly run, but they'll turn on when I bridge the relay and jump them. Problem solved maybe? I also ran it for 10 mins this morning and the temperature gauge didn't move at all. 10 minutes should be enough to gain a few degrees so I think it's likely that sensor isn't working.

Looking into the engine bay is driving me nuts right now. There's vacuum lines draped across the intake manifold, wires everywhere, and the routing of the coolant lines from the throttle body is giving me crazy anxiety. I also don't like the clearance of my radiator hose by my belt close to the alternator. There's alot of cleaning up I have to do and honestly I'm not sure where to start. My MAP sensor on the passenger side is being held up away from the headers because it's hooked onto an a/c component. I need some serious organization and routing tips. If you've got any, let me hear it.

Few pictures of the chaos. In the 3rd Pic you can see how little clearance there is from that rad hose to the belt. Makes me super nervous. You can see how there's wires just supported by my spark plug wires, I dislike it. In the last one you can see the coolant lines I'm referring to from the TB. On the 3.4l stock those were mounted via bracket to a bolt on the TB itself. The 3400 can't be done the same due to the angle so I'd like to find a way to clean that up as well.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robindehood; 08-25-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Thread Information