Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Need of New DD

Default In Need of New DD

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new truck as mine continues to have electrical gremlins ruining days haha. I'm not sure if I'll catch any flack for it, but I'm really thinking of getting a late 80s-early 90s f150s with the 4.9L. Does anyone here have any experience or maybe any other alternatives for strong trucks? I'm looking for something that I'll just have to put oil in and drive so that all the mechanical work can be put into the camaro. Let me know what you guys have had experiences with and what not.
    '95 3.4L Camaro-- Top end swap in progress >

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

idk about fords personally. i know chevy 1500's are pretty durable if taken care of. idk what the options are in canada but I like my s-10 as well.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    "OperationX"

The only thing with the 1500's is that no matter which option you go for it's thirsty as hell haha. I guess the same can be said for any truck if you don't keep your foot out of it, but doing research on the 4.9L and hearing things about it not needing anything but oil and running anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 miles while running great is something that just appeals to me. I've been scared to do anything to the isuzu because it's had so many issues already and I haven't been able to do any of it quick enough in a drive way to keep driving it so I've been forced to bring it in to a shop. Not cheap.

Administrator

yeah i'd say that a ford or chevy pickup is going to be more reliable than that isusu.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    "OperationX"

Like, it's amazing in the snow, and off road, but I can't justify dailying it based off that. Because on average in Vancouver we get less than 5 inches of snow the whole winter lol

The 4.8 & 5.3 don't get that bad of gas mileage. My friend used to average about 17mpg in his 2500 HD with 6.0
    93 Firebird M5 [RIP]
    98 BPM Camaro M5 [RIP]
    98 NBM Camaro Z28 A4 [LS1]

Mods: slp lid, borla adjustable catback, transgo kit, 3.73s, spohn tubular A arms..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Robindehood View Post
    Like, it's amazing in the snow, and off road, but I can't justify dailying it based off that. Because on average in Vancouver we get less than 5 inches of snow the whole winter lol
    i find that extremely unusual lol

some places that are still considered the south have more snow than that.

is it more rain or just not as much weather?

its a good thing none the less.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    "OperationX"

I live in vancouver, so we get the most rain known to man kind. But seriously, winters are the worst because the cities don't know how to handle ice and snow to start salting early, and it just wreaks havoc on vehicles. But good news, my in-laws have decided to trade me their 2007 rav-4 for the trooper. It's a great deal for me, the rav has 220,000kms as well but it's been maintained at the dealership since new in 07. Mint interior and the thing has the big v6 pushing out 270hp. Alot better than the 170 the trooper had haha.

Administrator

wow that's a nice deal. they need a big 4x4 i suppose lol

we get a lot of rain in Mississippi. but zero snow of course. but every 5 years or so we get like 10 in of snow and it's just awful for people that have no business driving in it. I've driven my camaro in 6 in snow untreated roads and the only plowing was tire tracks... well i guess the plowing was done by the nose of my car. the snow had to cooling the radiator because there was probably no airflow through it :-\ lol

good luck! i hope the rav works well for you

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    "OperationX"

They're actually just going to trade the trooper in on a new rav-4. Just doing it as a favour to get me out of the rut I've been in with vehicles. And I remember trying to move the camaro after our first big dumping in years. Was just flying up the hood and over the car haha.

Thread Information