Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Will's turbo 3.4 build

WOW! Ok, please post a lot when you do this one.. I'd like to learn from your thread and then I'll do my best on mine! It'll be a while for me. lol

You're a great asset to this forum! Thanks!

'94 with '98 front clip
    3.4, BW T5 WC Manual
    205,635 miles
    Shortstar Swap in the Works...

The book I got in the pictures posted with the rear is only like $25 on ebay. Worth it's weight in gold. You should pick one up and read it cover to cover several times.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oooh toys.
    And a couple modifications to the press. Washers up top to make the top bar solid. Some rubber bushings to keep the spring holders from wearing on the lower bar.

The press was 129, with a 20% off came to $103.
    Got out of harbor freight spending less than $240 at least.

Presses are nice. I hope to have some new toys when I get my new garage built. I'll have a 60 x 18 space to fill.

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

nice will. i like going to HF because even if these things last half as long as a name brand (most of which are made in china or mexico anyway) then i'm happy just because i'm not breaking then bank and i get to use proper tools.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Broken pinion, clean and bare case, using a tap to clean all the threads, ARP studs torqued in place, filed the mounting surface imperfections, all the goodies, and pressing the new bearings on the carrier.

More tomorrow. Need to get a brake cylinder hone to make the setup bearings and I can install everything, check backlash, and run a pattern to see where it's at.

Hoy vey! This is why we can't have nice things.

My 2000 Camaro SS/RS Wannabe. Proud non-member of PHK

Finished making the setup bearings, got the pinion installed with the factory shim, decided to use the beefier OEM ring gear bolts. Backlash supposed to be between .007 and .009. .008 on the first try. My home brew pinion lock.

All set and ready to run a pattern on it on my day off tomorrow. If I get crazy lucky and get a perfect pattern I'm slapping the bitch in tomorrow.

For now, off to work.

I ran the pattern with marking compound this morning. Wish I grabbed a few pics of the first pattern but I didnt. It was high on the Ring gear teeth but centered.

That meant that the pinion wasn't deep enough. So I ballparked and added a .0045 shim to the factory .0335 pinion shim. That cut my backlash in half to .004.

I did some fancy (not really) math and was able to subtract .0040 in shims from the left carrier pack and add it to the right and that brought me back to .008 backlash.

I ran the pattern after putting everything back together and got a nearly perfect pattern. Close enough that it's perfectly fine where it's at.

Pulled it all back apart and added a .0070 shim to both sides of the carrier shim packs to add some preload on the carrier bearings. Cleaned it all up and pressed the final pinion bearing on. Pulling the other pinion bearing on with the pinion nut is a bitch. Took 2 people.

So now it awaits installation into the car. I'll probably pull the red honda out of the carport and back the Camaro in and get the back up on stands to start pulling the current rear.

Need to swap over the axles, aluminum drums, and self adjusters. Other than that add some gear oil and call it done. 500 mile break in period and I'll check it over after that. I'll run another pattern check and make sure the backlash is still good.

If all that checks out then it's pedal to the metal. Next up is the header on the drivers side and the crossover pipe.

Dirty rear, shiny cover.

Thread Information