Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would like some advice selecting a Camshaft

Default Would like some advice selecting a Camshaft

Hey guys. So some of you have seen me mention a ticking in my engine, needing new lifters, and wanting them to match up with a better cam for later. Well, I managed to get a beater car for winter, so I can park the Camaro in the garage and fully tear the engine down. Now, I have always been good with the mechanical side of things, but I am not so great with the technical side. That being said, I am looking to get a camshaft kit from Summit, but I am a little lost on Duration/Lift. I don't know exactly how they are affecting the engine. Could you guys give me an idiots guide to camshafts? I read the sticky FAQ on the Valvetrain thread, but I still don't know which one would work best for me. I want something that will make my car sound a bit meaner, give me more power in 1st through 3rd gear, and hopefully not require me to get a tune to make my car work properly when I'm done. Does that exist?

This has taught me a LOT about cams. I know it's about degreeing, but it really explains a ton about cam operation and maybe get you closer to your goal...

http://www.iskycams.com/cam-degreeing.html

'94 with '98 front clip
    3.4, BW T5 WC Manual
    205,635 miles
    1995 L67 Swap in the Works...

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

you'll have to go to a mild cam in order to avoid tuning. the first thing you should do is bolt on supporting mods. Headers add so much to the bottom end torque. also freeing up the intake a little with a free flowing filter and plumbing will allow you to get the most out of your cam. Most v6 cams are going to be mild to begin with. a few are extreme but most that i've seen will probably drop right in. 3.4 probably dont have as much aftermarket on cams but i know a few that have dropped them in.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Quote Originally Posted by IDCamaro1994 View Post
    This has taught me a LOT about cams. I know it's about degreeing, but it really explains a ton about cam operation and maybe get you closer to your goal...

http://www.iskycams.com/cam-degreeing.html
    Awesome, thanks! I will have to read into this over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by xpbr2000 View Post
    you'll have to go to a mild cam in order to avoid tuning. the first thing you should do is bolt on supporting mods. Headers add so much to the bottom end torque. also freeing up the intake a little with a free flowing filter and plumbing will allow you to get the most out of your cam. Most v6 cams are going to be mild to begin with. a few are extreme but most that i've seen will probably drop right in. 3.4 probably dont have as much aftermarket on cams but i know a few that have dropped them in.
    So what is considered a mild cam? I have seen youtube videos of Kris' car after he put a cam in it, and that sounded amazing, but I don't know if that is the kind of cam that requires a tune afterwards. I do have pacesetters on the car now. I plan to get a cheapo CAI from ebay, then throw a K&N filter on it.

All cams need a tune afterwards. And yes mine is a mild stage cam.

Sent form Samsung Galaxy S5 using tapatalk!

Will I be able to drive the car at all after I upgrade the cam, or should I get it towed to a dyno tune shop? And do tuner shops usually charge a fortune?
    Also, since you guys have already done this type of upgrade, do you have any do's and don'ts for me? Did any of you run into problems during/after installing your cams?

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

cams like the ZZP gt1 and GT2 for 3.8 will only trip the p300 code but otherwise will run without a tune. those are examples of mild cams that do not require tuning.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Mine wouldn't run worth a shit until I got a tune

Sent form Samsung Galaxy S5 using tapatalk!

The best cam you can get is always a custom grind based on your needs. They're rarely ever much more than an off the shelf grind, and usually much better and exactly what you want.
    93 Firebird M5 [RIP]
    98 BPM Camaro M5 [RIP]
    98 NBM Camaro Z28 A4 [LS1]

Mods: slp lid, borla adjustable catback, transgo kit, 3.73s, spohn tubular A arms..

Thread Information