Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just joined moments ago got a 3.4L question?

Default Just joined moments ago got a 3.4L question?

Is the 3.4L engine in both F-bodies sorta the same as the 3400 GM engine but facing forward ?

reason asking is years ago I had a 1994 cavalier Z24 and changed out the cam and did other work to the engine while it was out and this was in the infancy days of electronic injection and custom PCM profiles so back then you couldnt simply flash the PCM with new software so major changes were out of the scope of these at the time.

Anyway car ran great till it was totaled and I had ported a set of 3.4L heads for it but over the years never replaced the car so heads have been sitting in workshop on the shelf and decided time to get rid of them. So question is would 2002 cutlass supreme 3.4L heads be a direct replacement for the V6 motors in these cars ? Did lots of work over the years on F-bodies and built many an engine for them but quite frankly never bothered to learn jack about 4 or 6 cylinder options as they held no interest for me.

would upload a photo but it asks me for a url ?

anyway figured i would check here and fiero forum before unloading them at a local swap meet next week

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

I hope a 3.4 guy can comment alittle better than me, but there are several 3400 intake swaps that are done on 3.4 fbodies. So My thoughts are the block are close enough to top swap the intake and everything line up.

I would assume GM didn't develop 2 3.4l blocks lol but it GM so what can you assume other than your wrong lol.

Maybe a 3.4 guy and comment and give you a little more confirmation.

But welcome to our sleepy forum. Feel free to look under the 3.4 section. there is a lot of information there too.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

So, are you trying to get rid of car parts?

'94 with '98 front clip
    3.8 L67, BW T5 WC Manual

Just wondering.

'94 with '98 front clip
    3.8 L67, BW T5 WC Manual

I mean...usually someone joins a forum to find support, both technically and morally. Not usually someone just looking to sell parts right before they take a trip to the landfill, but ok, welcome to the forum!

'94 with '98 front clip
    3.8 L67, BW T5 WC Manual

My bad wrong forum ... Im a car guy been building cars painting them and building engines 30 years plus and work in the automotive field as a master tech in GM and Ford and about 6 years with dodge but i dont like to talk about the "dark" years. anyway did not want to toss a perfectly good set of ported heads into the trash bin so figured i would reach out to people that can appreciate a good set of heads for $80 knowing they are worth easily $500 plus. even a rebuilt set of heads will cost around $200 and these were off a car with 8000 miles and was rolled onto its roof and engine ran for 3 minutes upside down so insurance paid to replace the engine and I kept the heads and scrapped the rest. Anway wrong forum thats on me as ported heads are for performance applications and quite frankly anyone buying a F-body with a V6 in it ? performance is the last thing on their mind. V6 f-body is simply a car sitting waiting for the engine to be yanked out and get a V8 ? unless you are running twin turbos then respect is do because engine is only an air pump and power adder adds more air to mix with fuel. sorry to have wasted your time as well as my own

Administrator

Sorry that you've taken offense, That was not my intention. You are not on the wrong forum. This forum has been home to several project builds anywhere from mild NA upgrades all the way to turbos. Unfortunately this Forum has been pretty sleepy nowadays. We have some traffic on this site still but its not as much as in its heyday.

I agree that v6s are not usually purchased for the sake of modding. its not something people think about unless that is the biggest motor you have get like a honda or something. its really not a logical thought lol. I bought mine as a daily in 2003. A head gasket blew a couple years later. I was young and stupid and couldn't fix it myself. But I kept it and 4 years later I started to rebuild it. Mine is more a member of the family than a performance car. I daily it today. I'm about to put a powerdyne supercharger and I honestly doubt I'll ever go v8. I'll probably skip straight to EV :evil:.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Not sure how to post photos if you cannot upload them directly but came across a google photo upload feature in one of my e-mail account and not sure if anyone can see the link contents but pretty much this album was created to show the heads being worked on from start to finish if anyone was either interested in them or in doing their own. if you can see the photos you can tell there is a lot of material being removed so the flow is improved drastically. as for the intake and valve covers those were carted off as scrap aluminum last year so they are not available. Since they were free for me and my cost to powder coat them was less then $1 (powder coating really really really is cheap for the guy doing his own work) its not like I was throwing away hard earned money

Administrator

you'll need to attached them to the post or link them from a site that will host the photos such as photo bucket. the album link doesn't work for me.

I made a writeup on how to link photos here.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Thread Information