Thread: Check out what happened to my exhaust manifold

Default Check out what happened to my exhaust manifold

After installing an aluminum drive shaft in replace of my crappy, worn 2-piece, my car sounded way better. Much throatier, ESPECIALLY in the all-too-short power band. I couldn't explain it but was happy. That night when I was heading home I tried to pass a car on the highway, downshifted to third, punched it, and went NOwhere.
    When I checked it out in the morning I could see my EGR valve wiggling around. The car was gurgling and sputtering and resonated most noticeably through the intake. I looked at it and the throttle body. Not the problem, just a symptom. I spent hours taking out the alternator, its brackets, the egr valve and pipes. Then going to a junkyard to get the little egr-to-intake pipe that I broke trying to pull it out. Then re-installed all the gaskets and new $100 EGR valve. Not the fix.
    When I rev the engine via the throttle body the pass. side of the car has a load sound like air breaking a seal somewhere. So I tore it down to the exhaust manifold and I assume this must be my problem.
    EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Untitled by photographerp, on Flickr

THE UPPER BOLT HOLE FOR (I believe) CYLINDER 5

THE UPPER BOLT HOLE WHEN SET FLUSH AGAINST THE HEAT SHIELD/GASKET

That seems to be my issue. There are no obvious cracks or warps otherwise. I've finely sanded down the area around the block and the gasket/heat shield piece in preparation for a junkyard manifold this weekend. I also noticed I was missing bolts on my drivers side manifold so I will be replacing those too.
    I've spent about 36 hours tearing down and rebuilding the left side of the car several times now. I still have ~4-6 for a tear down at the junkyard and the same to put it all back together on my car.

xpbr2000 is offline Freaky Poster LS PLUS Supporting Membership
    Administrator

not sure a bolt hole would cause a leak. its mostly the seal around the hole of the intake. I do hope that's your problem but I'm skeptical atm. Missing bolts will cause it to "tick" when the exhaust leaks.

96 Camaro Cam'd anti-Coupe
    Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Look at the gap. That gap happens between the block, gasket/heat shield and manifold. The problem definitely came from down low. Exhaust gas could be smelled and felt being pushed into the engine bay from far down and back by the firewall. I don't think its intake.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by WantMoreHP View Post
    Look at the gap. That gap happens between the block, gasket/heat shield and manifold. The problem definitely came from down low. Exhaust gas could be smelled and felt being pushed into the engine bay from far down and back by the firewall. I don't think its intake.
    i'm not questioning that the issue is the exhaust. I'm just thinking that is a bolt hole and not an exhaust port. that gap will be filled with a bolt.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Ahh, gotcha. The hole actually doesnt get plugged all the way with the bolt. I stuck the bolt in there to see because its the only thing that looked off. We will see Subday but I hope you are wrong lol

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by WantMoreHP View Post
    Ahh, gotcha. The hole actually doesnt get plugged all the way with the bolt. I stuck the bolt in there to see because its the only thing that looked off. We will see Subday but I hope you are wrong lol
    I hope i am too. I hate problems that have no apparent source. so time consuming.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

You were right xpb2000. After putting the manifold back on with a new gasket the same issue occurred. It continued to make noise that was most apparent through the intake and a vacuum hose. So I used SeaFoam to clean them out. Wouldn't you know it, carbon deposits and smoke came out of the passenger side of the engine. So that told me, in combo with the driving symptoms, its definitely a vacuum leak. And where did I find the leak? At the brass EGR pipe. Not the one that holds the EGR valve up to the exhaudt mani. The thing was oh-so-brilliantly bolted to the back of the engine between the engine bay and firewall. After several combinations of wrenches, sockets, ratchets and tape I figured a way to get it off. A pretty normal size 13mm wrench at the right angle and a bass string tied at one emd. Yank. Victory scream.

Administrator

Sweet! That a lot of work for a stupid exhaust leak LOL. I bet you did a king kong chest beat. I know i would have.

Dyno'd @ 213 RWHP (NA)
    OperationX thread
    OperationX blog
    FrankForged.com

Thread Information